My 360 - anyone got dyno software

-
As much as I like my 'Desktop Dyno' unless you step up to a much more sophisticated Sim program its accuracy mus be taken with a grain of salt. However its a great tool to look at the effect of individual changes to a combo sach as a cam choice.
Andrew

I agree with Blue missle 100% on this. The Desk Top Dyno is an excellent program to see how things like cam timing and valve size can effect engine operation and output. While generaly, not a bad program.

I noticed that the change from dual plane to single plane intake manifolds produce an amazing 50 plus extra HP everytime. This simply is not the case or possible with some builds. The single plane intake must be used only in super serious race like builds and still be taken with a grain of salt.

Still, it's a great little learning tool to see how things can be effected by changes you want to do. But remember, this is only a sim. Actual results will be different. Not "May vary."

I agree. Though the method is good to use, I find it best to use that one for finding out how much power is actually hitting the track floor.

I agree.

But for purposes of sorting out the difference in 416 hp engines with better carbs and similar engine that somehow make 450hp, it seems pretty clear that the measurment is at different locations.

If you are measuring trap speed and time to find HP, the 416hp is RWHP.

No theres no way my 360 is making 416 h.p. at the wheels..just like theres no way the afford mentioned 360 is going to put out 464 h.p...Like i previously stated take it to the track and find out....

No theres no way my 360 is making 416 h.p. at the wheels..just like theres no way the afford mentioned 360 is going to put out 464 h.p...Like i previously stated take it to the track and find out....

I agree! Take it to the track!

The bottom line is numbers for HP and Tq. are representitive (sp) and are great to shot the brezze/brag on, but how well the car performs is where it counts no matter what a dyno reads at the flywheel or rear wheels or how it's figured out, dyno sim or formulas at the track.

Go lay down some rubber and get a few slips. Stroked340 will get some math numbers up and you can go from there. It will be accuracte enuff.

Also bear in mind this does not take into account issues in machining or anything less than perfect ring seal. I'd expect to see real numbers about 10-30hp lower in real life.
I have Performance Trends Engine Analyzer, I use it a lot, but I generally dont pay much attention to the gross numbers, as they are usually about 5% high, and Engine Analyzer is considered one of the most accurate. However, it IS an excellent tool for balancing static compression & cam timing to try to zero in on the maximum dynamic compression ratio that your local pump gas will tolerate, or seeing the effect a change will have on the SHAPE of the power curve, or if you want to go to a bigger cam but maintain your cranking compression, it can be a useful tool for figuring out how much to tighten the lobe separation. But as far as generating gross numbers, I dont generally use it for that.
As far as figuring out what compression ratio to use, I dont use the programs reccomendations at all, dont even look at them. But through experience, I know about how much cranking compression my local fuel will tolerate IF the car is using the correct gear/converter combo, tight quench ect. & i use the cranking compression numbers the software generates as a pretty close guide.

Without meaning disrespect, here is the facts: If you are determining hp/tq numbers based on the work done by the engine, you are finding ACTUAL hp and TQ for that particular day to move the ENTIRE CAR down the track. That means you are measuring power delivered to the point of effect: the rear wheels.

If you are saying that a 360 built as you have it cannot make 416 hp, I disagree. Thats only 1.15 hp per cube, not exactly a huge number, and totally within reach on a mildly built 360. The fact is, you probably lost 20% in the driveline, which puts you at 500hp flywheel, thats 1.38 hp per cube, still not an astounding amount of power in the big picture.

For comparison, consider that a 2.2 with the Maserati head was putting out 1.66 hp per cube, or about 225hp.

If you are saying that a 360 built as you have it cannot make 416 hp, I disagree. Thats only 1.15 hp per cube, not exactly a huge number, and totally within reach on a mildly built 360. The fact is, you probably lost 20% in the driveline, which puts you at 500hp flywheel, thats 1.38 hp per cube, still not an astounding amount of power in the big picture.

Maybe he's over-carbed (snigger).

Hey stroked, if I may assuage you, I agree my aforementioned 360 is not going to put out 464 hp, just like everybody else who has posted on this topic knows. It's dyno software simulation, emphasis on simulation ... just a little titilation ...

If you are saying that a 360 built as you have it cannot make 416 hp, I disagree. Thats only 1.15 hp per cube, not exactly a huge number, and totally within reach on a mildly built 360. The fact is, you probably lost 20% in the driveline, which puts you at 500hp flywheel, thats 1.38 hp per cube, still not an astounding amount of power in the big picture

I am saying i make 416 at the crank..not at the rear wheels with my 360,trust me i know what 416 + at the rear wheels feels like thats what my stroker made...:-D

George, I agree. I use Pipemax for the same things. The downside is it's in simple number charts, not graphs...lol.

George, I agree. I use Pipemax for the same things. The downside is it's in simple number charts, not graphs...lol.
The Drag Strip analyzer can be a very useful tool as well. Its very helpful for correcting raw track data for weather conditions. First I set up a baseline pass for a given combo on a given day. When I get home from a day at the track, I pull up that baseline pass, change the weather conditions in the file, then fiddle around a bit until the incrementals match up, print it out, write some notes on the hard copy, & store it in the log book. The print-out can be VERY useful at the track later on when you run into similar conditions, and its a really nice neat format.

The Drag Strip analyzer can be a very useful tool as well. Its very helpful for correcting raw track data for weather conditions. First I set up a baseline pass for a given combo on a given day. When I get home from a day at the track, I pull up that baseline pass, change the weather conditions in the file, then fiddle around a bit until the incrementals match up, print it out, write some notes on the hard copy, & store it in the log book. The print-out can be VERY useful at the track later on when you run into similar conditions, and its a really nice neat format.
To clarify, I do this process for each time slip.

-
Back