My 4sp swap thread

-
did you decide whichg clutch system you were gonna go with? i was also interested in a hydraulic system from nissan or something similar cheap and easy to come by.

i saw a build somewhere and the guy used a compact clutch master cylinder on his firewall and mounted a little slave cylinder off of his bellhousing i believe? to push the clutch fork. i think he got the whole set up from the junkyard. i think it was from a little nissan or something similar. i have a bad memory i dont think it was in any of these forums i think i googled it.

oh yes he had a ford falcon and used the hydraulics from a 91 mazda 626

I'm not quite there yet. I just got a clutch fork and all the fasteners and pivot bracket are on the way. Its not quite as cheap as I thought, but I do like the small master cylinder and pull type slave wilwood offers.

ya that would be a nice upgrade. im in the process of converting to 4 speed also. so far iv found a trans. pedals, and bellhousing. no clutch or clutch fork or shifter yet tho. it deffinately adds up to be a pricy swap but i love the idea of slammin some gears in the dart. and im sure you feel the same
:burnout:

I know this isn't really 4 spd related, but thought I'd post some pics of the engine bay, I sprayed some paint yesterday since it's been 3-4 days of 70 plus degrees. I'm hoping to have the transmission by the end of the month, than the real fun begins.

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00550.jpg

nice job on the engine bay. im goin on like a 5 hr drive tomorrow to pick up my trans then 5 hrs back. damn the things we do for our toys. i ordered a clutch master cyl and slave cyl from a nissan altima wich should be here at the end of the month im hoping to be able to work with. i still need to get a flywheel and clutch and clutch fork so i wont know for a while if its gonna work for me. are you using those headers in the backround?

Its been a couple of months, but last week I got my tranmission, and over the weekend I started bolting things together. After using .007 offset dowels to align the bellhousing the centerforce was torqued to the flywheel. While I had the housing off I welded a heel onto the fork pivot bracket to eliminate flexing because of the narrow mounting pad in the lakewood. With everything bolted up I had to shave a bit of the lakewood off the right side so the headers would clear, I had to maybe take a quarter inch off.
In the time its taken to get the transmission I have gathered all of the parts to attempt a mechanical linkage for the clutch, we'll see.... I had bought a wilwood pull type slave cylinder, still in the box, but somehow that ended up in the burn pile when my wife cleared the cardboard out of the garage, time will tell if I need to buy another one.:banghead:

This week i'll be cutting the tunnel and working on getting the new one welded in place and do a dry run installation of the drive train to see how things line up.

But finally, some progress :burnout:

Attachments

• Dsc00616.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Dsc00618.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 330
  • Dsc00627.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 321
I'm thinking what sounds like the best setup might be to go with a regular 833 and think about dropping the ration down to a 3.55 or 3.23 in the back...

If you are doin this are you goin to sell the 3.91's?

Well, it s been awhile, but thought I'd post some pics of the progress.
I'm waiting on the carpet, drive shaft and p/s pump/pulley. Then I think the last think i'll need is the boot and bezel for the shifter.

I ended up going with the mechanical clutch linkage because I aquired all the parts of the last few months and figured I'd give it a shot. Ended up making the ball stud bracket for the lakewood as all I had were two plain ball studs, it seems to work fine the clutch operates without binding, but it is tight. the torque shaft is about an 1/4" away from the starter and the headers, and I scratched my shiny engine bay paint all to hell, but i'll touch that all up.

I can try to get pics of the bracket if anyone is interested. Hoping to be on the road in the next week or two :blob:

Attachments

• Dsc00685.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 253
  • Dsc00687.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Dsc00688.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 265
Mmmm, ball stud to torque shaft looks a bit crooked.

You're right, luckily I had not welded the plate on the fender yet. I got it straightend out this weekend and all back together.
I'm on the road again, so far everything seems good, shifts well with no grinding :cheers:

soo..any updates? how do ya like it? hows it holding up? how do you like the mechanical clutch linkage?

Hey MoparDude, yes I like it :)
I ended up tearing the transmission apart over the winter and replacing the gears in it, the originals were pretty nasty, put new brass in it and filled it with syncromesh, it shifts great now, no more popping out of gear. Though it does sound loud in neutral, so i'm gonna keep an eye on that :(
The mechanical linkage seems to work fine, other than needing to install a stop on my clucth pedal, its complete and nice and smooth. first gear is deep though :) Let me know if you have any other specific questions I might be able to help with.

-
Back