My 64 Dart Vert Project

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I've decided to start another thead similar to my 64 Dart post car. Hopefully the postings and pictures will be a help for anyone interested in starting a project like this so here it is.

This is the car that I picked up this past May up in North Central Washington State. As you can see it's a pretty soldid car. I tore off the old top since it was pretty much shreaded.

It's a standard 270 V8 car. It currently has a 1969 318 with the early 904 pushbutton tranny. I bought this car from an older gentleman who due to health problems wasn't6y able to do the car.

The interior was started with newer seat covers. Someone painted the interior which will require me to spend some time putting everything back so that the interior will be somewhat correct.

Here are my current plans for this car.

Complete rest mod with a slant toward a rat rod look. Not sure on what that will look like.

A 66 273 will go back in the engine bay. It will be pretty much stock with some mods such as a little higher compression, a little work on the heads (920s), ISKY E-4 solid cam, Edelbrack D4B, Carter carb, electronic ignition, stock manifolds with the 65-66 hipo exhaust system. The tranny will remain stock with probably a shift kit added . Since the car came with a 8.75 a set of 3.23s are on order.

Body will remain stock. I will run without the front bumper like my post car. The car will be white with a white top. I'll be running steelies, 14X6 in the front and 14X7's in the rear. Not sure on the tires yet. As you can see the car has later ralley wheels with 195/60 all the way around. I'm sure I'll be making changes as I go along.

My goal is to have the car ready for SpringFling 2010. I plan on driving it down and joining up with the cruise down the coast.

64 Dart  5-7-2009 003.jpg

64 Dart  5-7-2009 004.jpg

64 Dart  5-7-2009 001.jpg

I am looking forward to watching your project! What are your plans? I have a very, very solid 64 Dart convertible with plans for /6 to V8 swap, interior upgrade and suspension. Tips and pointers are always appreciated.

My buddy who owns a Restoration shop had one of his guys yard out the front end dropping everything out the bottom. He will clean out the engine compartment nex t week and prep it for paint. I have a PST kit coming so I can start on on the front end rebuild. I'll need to order some KYBs as well. heres the remains on the old drive train. Ishould note that I drove this critter this past summer to a local car show just for ***** n grins. The motor was pulling a whopping 10 PSI so probably good that i go the 273 route. That will be posted later when I get the block and all the other parts back from being washed. The guy (also a member here) that built the 273 in my post car will be doing the 273 for this car.

64 Dart Vert Engine 1.jpg

64 Dart engine 2.jpg

64 Dart Empty Engine Bay.jpg

Well the guys down at the shop decided to go ahead and paint the engine compartment while we are waiting for the rest of the suspension and fresh engine. I'll try to get some pics of that but it will be pretty much a straight forward rebuild. Here some pics of what got done.

64 Dart vert engine compartment.jpg

64 Dart vert engine compartment 2.jpg

64 Dart vert hood.jpg

64 Dart vert Trunk lid.jpg

Great job on the car. Nice to work in the engine compartment when everything's out.

Not wasting any time EH!Cars looking good!Keep us posted!

Yeah, kinda hard on the pocket book. I have enough funds to get the drive train and suspension back in as well as a new top. After that I'll have toi wait to see if my Charger sells at Russo and Steel in January.

I'll be putting this on my fresh 273. Need to cleant it up and painted it.

64 Dart D4B.JPG

Complete rest mod with a slant toward a rat rod look. Not sure on what that will look like.

What does this mean? I am involved in hotrods and kustoms as well as early A's. Generally "rat-rod" means unfinished deathtrap. :) Are you thinking mexican blankets and flat-black paint with red wheels?

Great looking Dart. I have lusted for a solid 64 GT 273 pushbutton vert for years.

What does this mean? I am involved in hotrods and kustoms as well as early A's. Generally "rat-rod" means unfinished deathtrap. :) Are you thinking mexican blankets and flat-black paint with red wheels?

Great looking Dart. I have lusted for a solid 64 GT 273 pushbutton vert for years.

Maybe rat rod is the wrong term, more of resto mod. I am going to try and keep it close to period correct. It will have a 273 with the D4B 4 barrel, stock Hipo single exhaust through just the resonator. may do a custom nerf bar on the front. Moon Eyes type accessories. As you can see from the pic we've already de-trimmed it to a certain degree

Sounds more like a "60's modified" type build. A noble goal which suits the early cars well. Looking good!

Maybe rat rod is the wrong term, more of resto mod. I am going to try and keep it close to period correct. It will have a 273 with the D4B 4 barrel, stock Hipo single exhaust through just the resonator. may do a custom nerf bar on the front. Moon Eyes type accessories. As you can see from the pic we've already de-trimmed it to a certain degree

Period correct is very cool. We did my wifes 69 Mustang like that. Even the 351W heads on the 302 were 69 date coded. We decked it out with aluminum slots, offy intake, finned valve covers. All it needed was a foot shaped gas pedal and a hula girl. :toothy10:

Im looking forward to your progress.

Period correct is very cool. We did my wifes 69 Mustang like that. Even the 351W heads on the 302 were 69 date coded. We decked it out with aluminum slots, offy intake, finned valve covers. All it needed was a foot shaped gas pedal and a hula girl. :toothy10:

Im looking forward to your progress.

I have the hula girl and the foot

-
Back