My 64 dart wont start

-
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to working on cars and my 64 Dart is having an issue. I was driving it to work and it got there fine. But when i went to lunch it wouldn't fire up. It turns over just fine and its getting gas. I also checked the spark plugs and they were not getting spark. I changed the coil and still have the same problem. Is there anything else i might be over looking?

Had this happen to me before, turned out to be the rotor in the distributor cap (metal tang on rotor lost its shape and wasn't making contact in distributor cap). Bought a new rotor, installed it and all was fine.

Also when you have the distributor cap off, check the reluctor air gap adjustment, this is the distance between the reluctor (its the metal piece the rotor goes in) and the pick-up. Measurement shoud be 0.008".
Rotate the distributor shaft by hand. It should rotate freely, but it's normal to feel "pulsations" as the reluctor prongs pass the pick-up. Check measurement using a brass (non-magnetic) feeler gauge.
This can be adjusted by the loosening the screw which makes the pick-up move and setting the distance to 0.008" then tighten down that screw again.

Hope this is clear and helps you.

check for spark from coil wire, if not bad coil, if good then could be conenensor or points or i even had one not spark cause the rotor was fouled up. could also be a cracked distributer. was it raining on your way to work or did you hit a big puddle?

Hello, I am new to working on cars and my 64 Dart is having an issue. I was driving it to work and it got there fine. But when i went to lunch it wouldn't fire up. It turns over just fine and its getting gas. I also checked the spark plugs and they were not getting spark. I changed the coil and still have the same problem. Is there anything else i might be over looking?

A couple days ago my 64 (at left) "Baby", sarted to sputter, comming off light under med gas. Pull in NAPA, replace fuel filter, go on with fingers crossed.
Still happens.
Home.....
Pull cap, rotor button, clean with 800 grit, blow out. Clean points. Put all back together. Cranks fine, getting gas but won't start.
Replace with new: Cap, rotor, points, condensor. $30.00 Advance in stock!!!!
Starts but runs rough.
Bump engine till points are "peaked" on high lobe "open". Adjust points (.014-.019) I opted for .016 gap.
Sarted with a bump of the key. Hooked up vacume guage, lossened distributor and moved back and forth while running to "peak" reading in the green normal section. Shut off & put everything back together.
TADA!
Runs like grandmas race car again! Will chirp shifting to second if needed!!!
Good Luck!8)

Check to see that the rotor is indeed spinning,the plastic gear sometimes will get broken

-
Back