My 67 Cuda Project Begins!

-
Engine bay should be body color

Flat black is for chevy's and other undesirable excuses for a car!!

yeah, i know, i might do it, not sure though. the flat black is low maintenance and is also easier to keep clean.

its a race car, no street car, but i might

so today i got a fair amount of work done...

i finished taking all the lug nuts off, those damn rusty studs make it a little difficult.

i found the brand new master cylinder for it, and of course, it was rusty on the outside, so i masked off the top and hit it up with some flat black spray paint, and i did the same with the little clamp deal that holds the top on.

i also pulled the right rear wheel off of the car, and got the brakes freed up, so now i can give those big back wheels a spin :D

the last thing i did was vacuum the drivers side of the car, i was going to finish all of that, until the damn drop light burned out.

i will be ordering [8] 1.75 Wilwood pistons for the front calipers, along with [2] 1.75 O-Ring sets for them. then i will have a nice set of rebuilt calipers to put on the car.

and the other thing going in my cart on summit is going to be [20] McGard lug nuts, the shank style

so my first purchase is looking like $190 bucks

ill get that charger for my camera this week, and catch up on the pictures!

well, no big update as of yet, but i found the calipers and started cleaning those up. also cleaned out the interior and started thinking about other things to do.

i think ill leave the engine bay flat black for now, and i need to find or make patch panels for the inner fenders....someone hacked em up for some fenderwells and i want to fix them. any ideas?

so, really soon i should be making an order, have the interior 100% clean and hopefully a new tach mounted there. and the wheels will hopefully be polished up soon.

btw, bump :D

okay, i guess this is an okay sized update, seeing that im actually doing stuff now, other than talking about it lol.

but, last night at work, i brought in the 2 front wheels off the car, took the old dryrotted tires off, and now i have just the wheels to work with.

polishing the front starts tonight :D

now, hopefully the rear tires, fit on the tire machine, seeing that they are 14x32's...haha. then ill get the rear polished up here sooooon.

and im getting a brand new set of front tires from summit, or jegs along with a set of slick tubes. and then getting a set of slicks that have around 10 passes on them.

oh, and i should be making that order to summit here within the next week or so. either lug nuts, or brake parts. i cant decide haha.

sorry about the lack of pictures. im bummed out that i cannot find the cybershot charger :(

okay, nothing major again. but

i got the right front wheel completely polished up, and it came out great. i sure wish my camera worked...

starting on the left front tommorow.

than saturday, ill probably bring the rears into work on my day off, and get the tires off of them.

then the next week get the slicks from my dads buddy for free, and purchase
2 new slick tubes. get the rear wheels polished up, and the tires mounted. then the wheels and tires are done.

then ill get the brake parts bought, and rebuild them within a few weeks, get those bolted up, bled, and working.

change the dif fluid with some good ol 90 weight.

and than ill be really rolling.

got more done today. its starting to feel like im making progress now :D.

i got the cover off of the rear, let the oil drain for a while, and took the cover into work and scrubed off 18 years of dirt and grime off of it. then refilled it with some 76 gear oil. just some regular old 90 weight. and also got 10 washers from work. my total came out to $4.64. cant beat that!

also, started polishing the left front wheel. i got most of the pitting down, and its all smoothed out. time for some compound tommorow.

but now, im working on two projects. my dads boss gave him a complete, ready to go race kart. so i changed the oil on that, aired the tires up. and polished the plastic body with mequiars plastx...all i can say, is that product, is amazing! tommorow we are going to get some HEET dry gas, and fire this thing up, and ride it down the street some...

still working on getting the camera working. ill go on a search for a charger tommorow. and get some updated pics!

okay. so this has been a pretty productive weekend.

i rethought the whole buying parts deal and heres what ive come up with...
im going to buy 20 new lugnuts-80$
set of slick tubes-120$
8 wilwood 1.75 pistons-90$
3 sets of 1.75 Orings-15$

that would keep me busy for quite a while

im also taking apart the calipers now, and going to sand blast them and leave them a raw finish. and rebuild them with the new parts im going to order here soon.

also, the front tires are going to stay. they are brand new, they hold air, and arent really dryrotted much at all if any. so im going to clean them really good, and remount them on the front wheels...which are now both polished.

today, i got the other front wheel finished. they look great. i also looked around, and found the centercaps for these wheels. my dad used some old american racing dome caps, with the 5 bolt holes, and he drilled, and tapped the wheels to bolt them on. well, when i found them, they were basically green with dirt, and just corrosion..nothing my dremel and some 3m rubbing compound couldnt handle. they now look like show chrome. so im going to buy 10 new stainless bolts, and put those on after i mount the tires. thatll be done by next weekend.

hopefully the front end will be done by the end of february.

okay, a little picture update...

heres what is shown in the pictures, how the front wheels look now, all polished up, along with the custom fitted center caps. along with our nice clean, and flushed out Dana 60...

basically all ive really gotten done is that i took the cover off of the 60, and let the old oil drain, took the cover to work, and cleaned it in the parts washer, picked up new washers, and wire wheels the bolts, and got 4 quarts of 90w. put the cover on, and fed that big guy 3.5 quarts, until it ran out of the hole.

then, the next saturday, mounted the front tires on the freshly polished wheels. another thing i did after mounting the wheels would be how i polished the nasty, cruddy, and just bad centercaps...i thought they werent salvageable but some 3m rubbing compound and my dremel brought them back to like new condition. got some nice stainless hardware for them, and put them on. ( ill probably end up buying a polishing pad for the buffer, and then going all out on them, to get the wheels mirror like, and ill paint the back side black, and repaint the red so it looks alot better, ill get pics after i do that also!)

so on with the pics!!

nothing better than a nice clean rear ;)
DSC00897.jpg

mmm polished magnesium :D
DSC00898.jpg

DSC00899.jpg

little bit of any update!

i ordered the full set of Centerline Open Ended Chrome Shank Lugnuts and also a -6 straight AN fitting that i needed to finish the fuel cell. from summit, it costed me 73$

since ive posted the pics, ive dismounted both old slicks, the tubes were like new, so those will be re used.

i will clean up the old wheel screws this week at work, and finish polishing both wheels this week. i have one done.

ill take some pictures when the parts get here!

i cant wait to get the car on the ground, outside, and all washed, and cleaned. the engine bay, and under carriage will be power washed, and spotless in a couple weeks!

then i will start making some real progress!

well, im sure some pictures would help get some replies to this thread.

my parts from summit arent here yet, but ill snap a few when those come in tommorow afternoon!

heres the one back wheel i finished up, compared to how it started...enjoy!
BEFORE
DSC00920.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

AFTER
DSC00918.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

one for fun :thumbsup:
DSC00929.jpg

A Body Love!
DSC00932.jpg

its Bryant's 72 Dart Swinger. it has an eddy headed 360 with a bunch of other things. i dont know much about the car other than he used to run it every weekend back in the 80s, he sold it, and now, 10 years later, bought his car back. this is the car i made my first 2 passes in!

John

so, new parts showed up today, i didnt get them until now, so the installed pics will have to wait a while, until i get the braided line cut tommorow, and then ill have the new slicks on next saturday. so ill have brand new pictures then...

so heres what i got when i came home from work!
...hmm, whats in it?
DSC00933.jpg

...stickers, aww man..
DSC00934.jpg

but wait, theres more! 1/2x20RH Centerline .750 Shank Lug Nuts, and a -6 Straight AN Fitting.
DSC00936.jpg

total cost of the order was $73.21, total cost of the entire project, probably about $100 total!

John

damn, nobody posts in this thing but me anymore...oh well.

Nothin makes a man happier than coming home to a big box with Summitt on it! Keep the pics coming

looking good...I love Slotted Mags.

You need to invest in a digital video camera and get some sound clips and live video when you get her up and running.

looking good...I love Slotted Mags.

You need to invest in a digital video camera and get some sound clips and live video when you get her up and running.

videos will come no doubt!

im shooting for november 30th...its the last T&T at MIR, and that seems like a doable date. but then again, im giving myself a ton of extra time just incase.
im sure if i really got to work on it, every night after work, and every afternoon after school, it would be a complete roller by the end of april, but i have other things, and not that much money, and neither does the family, so this is on me, and i have to spend a little at a time.

only thing i REALLY need to get is a motor, and theres a good chance when i go to pick up the slicks on sunday, ill get a shortblock, i love having awesome family friends!

You`re doing a great job with your racecar, not that easy when short of cash. You just do whatever can be done with out cash flow.
Keep the great work up.:thumbup:

its going to be a bracket car, i think i may have to buy a 7x 4 door dart, and drive that, and just mess with it.

no idea on a price, i just found it sitting on the side of a street down the road, and it looks like it never moves, the tires are aired up, its got a little bit of rust behind the rear wheel, on the quarter, but other than that. it looks solid.

but yeah, its going to stay a race car!

-
Back