My 68 Barracuda turns off while driving?

-

JerzyRust

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda, I've had it for ten years . All of the sudden when I drive it on a highway it loses power. I pull over , turn the key and it starts right back up. The radio will hold it's stations which tells me the battery is still in check. Ive changed the Balist, the coil, the ignition and the starter relay what else is there to check?

change the fuel filter....;-)

My Mazda truck did the same thing, just bogged and died. Filter was jacked.

Please do not just throw parts at it. You can spend a HELL of a lot of money that way.

The ignition "run" contacts in the switch is different, that is "it's a different switch" than the accessory.

Think of your ignition switch as a little box with a whole bunch of SEPARATE switches all hooked together

Might be the contacts in the switch

Might be the terminals in the switch connector

Might be a bad connection at the bulkhead connector.

You have a service manual? You can download one

Has it been converted to electronic ignition? Those are the exact same symptoms my Valiant displayed when the box began to fail.

also could be a wire against a manifold or header or somewhere else shorting

inspect all wires, check all connectors, clean them all up good. repair any bare wire areas / loose connections.

Manually operated switches are always suspect. Visual inspection often reveals the culprit too.
Oil leaking out of the coil at the coil wire, there's your sign.
Gell coat melting from underside of the ignition module, there's your sign.

X3 on checking wire connectors. I've had a wire break inside the insulation before. The oil pressure would come and go. Finally tracked it down to the conductor was broken inside the insulation and making contact as the motor moved. I gave it a tug and it came apart right next to the factory terminal.

The "all of a sudden" sounds electrical, like the suggestions here. If a fueling problem, it would probably sputter before dying.

-
Back