My 68 Dart GT Restoration

-

Kermit_T_Frog

Reaction score
I'm starting the restoration on my grandfathers 1968 Dart GT this weekend. Last weekend I drove the car to my wife's cousin's house to get ready to pull the Slant 6 out of it. After the /6 and transmission are gone it will come back to my garage to finish the tear down. My plans for the Dart are: 400hp 360 and 727 trans, Base/clear Factory 68 Red, White Vinyl top, white interior, shaved side molding and emblems, new emblems (stick on from Nissan pAThfinDeR), new GT possibly of Mustang, LBP front disc, high geared 8 3/4 for cruising and highway, slot wheels or dog dish, and as low as I can get it without having to buy headers every year Dual exhaust tucked in behind the bumper with turn downs. I hope to update this as often as possible and want to thank everyone for the knowledge I find on this awesome site.

100_0072 (Medium).JPG

Picture 231 (Medium).jpg

100_0079 (Medium).JPG

Picture 240 (Medium).jpg

Picture 234 (Medium).jpg

Picture 236 (Medium).jpg

Picture 235 (Medium).jpg

Picture 230 (Medium).jpg

Picture 250 (Medium).jpg

Picture 246 (Medium).jpg

Wow man great start you got there. Looks awesome. Cant wait to see pics of all the progress. Im pretty sure that I speak for everybody on here to keep updating this thread as we all love this sort of thing. But it looks good and best of luck.

Joe

That is so cool! Your grandfathers car. I bet it is different than just fixing up a car that wasn't in the family. Everything sounds good that you're going to but I questioning the Nissan pAThfinDeR emblems. What? I like the 68 Dart body style.

I'm questioning the emblems as well. I pulled DART out of Pathfinder, but hard to find a matching DODGE and GT in the same size. My grandfather bought the car from the original owner in 84 for $500. It spent most of it's life in Escondido, CA until he couldn't drive it. The original owner only drove it to Wisconsin on summer fishing trips.

I'm questioning the emblems as well. I pulled DART out of Pathfinder, but hard to find a matching DODGE and GT in the same size. My grandfather bought the car from the original owner in 84 for $500. It spent most of it's life in Escondido, CA until he couldn't drive it. The original owner only drove it to Wisconsin on summer fishing trips.

Ohh I get it now... DUH!

I would like to own a car that I can state where it came from and what it was used for. lol

thats going to be one sweet ride when your done.One word of caution on your turn downs i did that once and only once the bummer to that was the exhaust blows the dirt off the road and on to your car dusting almost all the time.i know the road looks clean but trust me itsssssssss not.good luckPS i love the white int thats what i am going with on my 69 dart.

A red car with a white roof is one of my fave paint scheme (Ok the roof is vinyl !). It looks good ! Good luck for your restoration.

Great start,keep posting pic's with your progress please.

TTI headers seem to have more clearance.I have them on my 68 Dart GT.360-904-3.23-8-3/4.

That had to have been one of the easiest motor pulls ever. Now the FUN begins. I have to go monday and buy a new jack and some stands. This weekend was the first time I used ratchet-wrenches and now have to go buy a set. I thought that since this car has NEVER been apart that there would be tons of stuck nuts and bolts. Everything came out easy and my knuckles live to see another day. The bolts in the transmission crossmember slide out like they never carried a load. The hammer got to stay in the toolbox except for when we pounded the exhaust closed to keep the critters from invading the /6. Well here are some pictures and the ever so popular trailer shot.

Picture 272 (Medium).jpg

Picture 273 (Medium).jpg

Picture 274 (Medium).jpg

Picture 275 (Medium).jpg

Picture 276 (Medium).jpg

Picture 277 (Medium).jpg

:thumbup: Looks great! I have always liked 67-69 Darts, looks like a nice project. I see your from Smyrna, Tennessee, thats about an hour and a half drive away from where I live. I almost bought a 69 charger there a few years back. I went to look at it on a Thursday, we made a deal and I went back on Saturday to pick it up and dude sold it out from under me.

Jason

That's seems to be a trend in this town. I was going to buy an S-10 as a daily and the only reason I didn't give him the cash in hand was because he said he was busy until Saturday. I called him on friday night and he said he sold it that afternoon. I was PO'd but I had to forgive because it gave me more to spend on the Dart.

Damn nice project ya got there Mr. Frog, from experience remember to bag and clearly label all parts and keep all in one or two boxes. Some how yesterday I could not find my bag of rubber bumpers for the hood, doors and trunk area. Good luck!!!

Another reason not to go to Wal-Mart. I bought the cheap closeable bags at the store and they wasn't made right. Stupid bag wouldn't zip. Is a grand too much for a 64 Impala SS? It may take a bite from my Dart budget. I'm waiting to see if the guy can come up with a title. It hadn't been registered since 94. Interior pulled out of it, and some surface rust.

Most of the car is stripped now. I'm debating on whether I should strip the undercoating and replace it with roll on bedliner. Also, the brakes, I don't want to dissassembe them because they are all new and don't need the moisture. I found a couple extra surface rust spots under the master cylinder. I ruined the chrome on the hood because the screws holding it were rusted. Her are some new pics.

Picture 037 (Medium).jpg

Picture 038 (Medium).jpg

Picture 039 (Medium).jpg

Picture 040 (Medium).jpg

Picture 041 (Medium).jpg

Picture 042 (Medium).jpg

Picture 043 (Medium).jpg

Picture 044 (Medium).jpg

Picture 045 (Medium).jpg

Picture 046 (Medium).jpg

Looks like a very worthy project. When tearing down, be sure to bag and label your parts. I'm still turning my garage upside down trying to find some of my body parts. good luck. Howard

How did you ruin the chrome on the hood?

Are talking about the lettering or the piece going along the front of the hood?

Nice car, great color, and awesome screen name. Are you sure we are not brothers from different mothers?? :D

DSCI01649.jpg

Love the pictures of your son in the car. My boy was in the garage at 3 "helping" me wrench on the circle track car ('77 Monte then); he is 21 now!

Got the doors and fenders off today. Found a couple spots where cancer was trying to creep in. Next I hope to fill in some holes sandblast and seal everything then send it to the body shop as soon as I find one.

Picture 337 (Medium).jpg

Picture 339 (Medium).jpg

Picture 347 (Medium).jpg

Picture 345 (Medium).jpg

Picture 346 (Medium).jpg

Picture 342 (Medium).jpg

Picture 343 (Medium).jpg

OK So they car has been sitting in my wifes aunt's Garage for OVER a month with me not touching it at all.:angry7: I need to rent a diesel compressor to start/finish soda blasting the car. There hasn't been a dry weekend in FOREVER. I'm also waiting on some holes to be welded up but that may not get done until the body shop. I went and looked at a 78 LeBaron that may be a great donor car for all I need. BBP discs and bigger rear end. Running 360 and trans. I may bring the car back home and strip it at home. Here are the last pics I have.

Picture 354 (Medium).jpg

Picture 356 (Medium).jpg

Picture 357 (Medium).jpg

-
Back