My 69 Dart "AKA" The Blue Mutt

-
progress - been sloooow to happen with the work on the yard as well as some other misc chores, gas tank is in the car, rear is back in the car, will soon put the new new brake distribution block in, finish the break connection and the back end of the car will be done, installed new supply and return fuel lines as well as a new brake line from the MC to the rear, got new fuel pump regulator mounted and plumbed, fuel lines done just ready for connection to the carb. have gathered everything to put my doors back together with correct 69 parts for the drivers door, also have all my pieces for the steering column - so far it appears all will be well for clearance with the dif cover I have, hit the vent tube on the stock style fuel sensor., resealed my car trailer this weekend, did the brakes with the rear on my sawhorses, first time ever with the rear not being in the car, was almost easy compared to sitting on your *** doing them

IMG_E2938.JPG

IMG_E2934.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

had some more slow progress - derailed by a few other projects and life - catching up a bit. I realized that as I have worked on my cars over the years I always seemed to leave something that I would finish later, I am trying to completely finish this time with everything which leads to testing of patience as well as sometimes waiting on enough time or parts.

pretty happy where I ended up on the floor inside overall

IMG_2882.JPG

I bought an original sound deadening kit from a member here, by time I got it out some of it was in pieces, so I used what I could and added a little extra, should help with a little heat and road noise

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

IMG_3112.JPG

My car was an original column shift, it had a B&M shifter in it when I got it so I got a non-shift column piece and commenced to completely rebuilding and cleaning p the steering column, that's when I found out the mutt has another mix of parts, my column is from a 67 - woohoo, anyway got everything cleaned, freshened up and back in the car, this was much more of a pain in the *** than I expected but happy with the final results

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

Previous own installed a very cheap stereo and cut the dash slightly - a factory radio can still be installed and the trim plate will hide the cut if I ever want to return to a stock one but I am upgrading with a nice stereo and speakers - part of this required some rework to the rear speaker deck - happy with results.

IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

new front speaker also

IMG_2823.JPG

The car had what appeared as it was somewhat newer but the guy I got the car from has installed numerous things and it had a lot of holes - so new carpet time, I did use a piece of the old and extended the carpet all the way under the rear seat - more quietness but probably not much, also new front and rear sill plates. I didn't take a lot of pictures but I completely rebuilt and cleaned the shifter and installed a new handle, the threads were stripped and couldn't redo them to fit a standard shift knob, also installed a new heavy duty shifter cable, the other was a cheaper light duty cable that had most of the jacketing melted off and covered with a hose.

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

Currently I am working on the doors and finishing the trunk - my driver's door was a 68 so I'm converting to a 69 with proper hardware, the previous owner had a fuel cell in the car and had cut out a section in the tire well but filled it in before I bought it, I did a little clean up inside as well as the bottom before I installed the gas tank, filler tube was cleaned and painted, also found a curious thing with the vent tube, it was completely blocked and had a very small diameter hole where it connects to the tube, I drilled the hole out since I have the electric in tank field pump now - will see if I have any issues, both the pump and fuel sender have a connection points for venting, didn't use either one.

IMG_2848.JPG

guess I didn't take pictures of the final clean up and painting before adding sound deadening but it's all back together and looking pretty good.

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

As I mentioned I have been working on doors, etc., I have things to do under the car but working on finishing everything up top before it hits the jack stands again, after some cleaning, slight adjustments I got the rear seat in along with the rear panels. My passenger door needed adjusting and it took several days due to grief and anguish to finish, I took out all the hardware to clean and add new clips amd after some help its opens closes nicely, just waiting on some new door knobs and some final clean inside to close it up and be done, drivers door needed the 69 latch so its gonna be finished soon, I also cleaned and painted some kick panels finally and got those installed as well

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

That's some nice progress sir! You inspire those of us whose projects are sitting, forlorn, by the wayside of progress.

slow and tedious progress, electrical clean up time, took a closer look at the bulkhead connector - down the rabbit hole I went - have upgraded the electrical and now mostly done

the carnage

IMG_3340.JPG

if you don't think that the factory splice in the dash is worth at least looking at - heres a good reason

IMG_3336.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

hope is I get to drive again bt memorial day weekend

-
Back