My '69 Dart GT Project

-

Nitrocide595

Reaction score
21 years old and still in College, but I picked this car up from Queens, NY a few weeks ago. It had been sitting in a garage for 30 years and I was the first one to move it out since it was parked. 2 of the 4 drums were frozen but once we freed them up, it rolled right out.

I have an entire file in Microsoft Onenote for this car, sorting parts, prices, and this infamous to-do list that seems to only be getting longer, but I knew what I signed up for when I bought it. I'll be asking questions and looking around too for some ideas. So far, this is the priority list I have, subject to change and movement. Body work first, drivetrain later.

1) Body work
a. Remove Gas Tank (DONE)
b. Scrape off Under coating
c. Stiffen frame
i. Subframe connectors
ii. Torque Boxes
d. Mini- Tub
e. Fenders
f. Quarters
g. Spray lizard skin under car and inside on floor, one side sound deadener, one side insulation

2) Pull Motor (slant 6)
a. Label All Wires
b. Pull out all components and prep engine bay for paint

3) Paint
a. PLASTIDIP?
b. Paint engine bay with heat resistant black?
c. lime green Factory Vinyl on black paint

4) Rear
a. Axles
b. Diff
c. 4 link kit
d. disk brakes

5) Transmission
a. Automatic 727 RB
b. Manual Valve Body
c. Shifter

6) Interior
a. Racing Seats
b. Custom Gauge cluster (sunpro?)
c. Radio

7) Finish 440
a. Paint parts
b. Mounts, wiring, etc
c. AlterKtion front kit?
d. Exhaust

I'm open to suggestions and ideas all the time, so feel free to give me a heads up if you come up with a better idea because I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who know better than me ;)

As far as pictures go, most of them are too large to upload to the forum, so here's the link to my photobucket. Pretty much every picture related to the car is there, including all the crap I found when I cleaned it out... there were a loooooooot of beer bottle caps... lol
http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/69DartGT/library/

Sounds sweet, love 67-69 darts! Can't see the pics though, says your account is private....

DOH! should be fixed now ;)

Just Watched a Power Block kit on a fuel cell install they did in a later model Dart, and I feel pretty confident that when the time comes, I can do it. Confidence in new territory is a good feeling!

As far as the tubs go, does anyone have an issue with the trunk hinges clearing the trunk after you install a tub kit?

Very cool project. You have several of the very hard to find or expensive parts to purchase (trunk trim panel and shifter console specifically) there to work with. I am in the middle of my 69 GT resto-mod project myself.

Reminds me a lot of what I started with! Takes time but well worth it. Nearing completion after 4 years. I will definitely follow this one :).

Alright, progress! sub frame connectors came in the mail today, weather stripping came last week, and now it's time to get busy!

got a few questions for you guys, and anybody else who may have information I can use!

1) Trying to unload some parts and pieces I don't need for the car, and I need to know about how much it's worth (already have a potential buyer for most of it) For pics, check the photobucket http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/69DartGT/library/?sort=3&page=1 )

I have the side trim that runs the length of the car, quarters to fenders, kind of scratched up, but in relatively good shape (not broken), seats which are pretty shot thanks to the raccoon that broke in while it sat for all those years, an original trunk jack, Original set of 4 wheel covers (GREAT shape), and some other things I'll mention later.

I don't know how much they're all worth really, and shopping around doesn't do too much good when they're used parts. I just want to get as much as I can for them so I can get this build moving along!|

ALSO, a question regarding a rear end kit: I'm looking at the RMS Streetlynx kit and the Control Freak rear kit. Who has used which and what are your opinions? My biggest concern is 1) how easy was the install, and 2) how wide a tire could you fit (with a mini tub) Thanks, guys!

UPDATE:

Sold parts to Tony from Tony's Parts at Mopars at E-town a few weeks ago, made some cash to put into the project!

My game plan changed a little since I'm getting the itch to drive this thing more and more each day. Right now, I'm planning on finishing the rear end to keep it rolling. Axle Shafts and bearings from Moser are in the cards for this week after pay day, then later on Leaf Springs from hotchkis and a relocation kit (vendor to be determined). Dad has some plain black wheels that'll match the new, bigger bolt pattern so we can keep it rolling.

Before the winter, I'll be doing some rust repair on the floors (not much really, just surface rust- a little POR 15 is going to do the trick). Next large investment is going to be the seats I picked out so I can get the roll bar measured up and installed, then the rest of my suspension parts from Hotchkis with Tax returns come springtime. The sooner I get the roll bar and rear suspension in place, the sooner I can plan a fuel cell.

From that point, I'll be working my way forward to the motor. I'm looking at a 727 for the 440, and I was told to go through Phoenix Transmission (http://www.phoenixtrans.com/catalog/pt727hd/
) anybody else use them? This is a pretty stock 440 I've got here so I don't need race car spec stuff.

After the trans, I finish the motor and drop it in. I'll have this thing running and driving HOPEFULLY by the beginning of 2016, assuming nothing major happens. Worse comes to worse, it'll just take longer.

I updated the Photobucket album for the car today too. you'll be able to see some of the under side rust and repair that'll be taken care of. Only 2 bad spots that will need to cut and brace.

Any questions, comments, or concerns? Sound off! I'm open to friendly and educated advice :)

Sounds like a fun project, I would read up on the Hotchkis stuff, there are much better options for the money.

Sounds like a fun project, I would read up on the Hotchkis stuff, there are much better options for the money.

Do you know of anything specifically? I'm always open to ideas! Basically right now I'm looking to get it running and driving, and I'll most likely go for the higher end full kits later on when I'm out of school and (hopefully) employed. I only went with Hotchkis because it was the first big name brand I saw, and it seemed reasonable. If you know of other kits, let me know

-
Back