My 69 Dart Swinger

-

Gitdowns

Reaction score
Got my Dart from paint shop prison. The paint job is one of those that looks good even close up at first glance. Not sure what I want to do right now. I am thinking about just putting it together and hoping the paint job wont go bad in the next few years. I will have lots of questions as I start putting it together. My first question is, what is the first thing I need to order to start putting it together. The car still has front and rear suspension. Everything else is pulled off. At this point, I just don't know where to start. Tried to post pics, but mine are too big it says.

Hard question without knowing more. What is all removed and what is still in the car?

Wiring first then the dash and glass/weather stripping. After that point it doesn't much matter.

Make sure the headliner and dash and wiring is installed before the windshield and back glass. The headliner material wraps around the pinch weld front and rear. Then the glass seals help hold them. The windshield seal covers the attaching bolts for the dash.

Great post, Gitdowns, and very timely!
My '69 Dart is supposed to be paroled from its 'paint prison' in a couple of weeks and I've been curious as well about best way to progress since it'll be just a shiny painted rolling shell when it comes home.
How long was yours in for? Mine went to the paint shop on December 3, 2016.

(09/27/17)Update: Pick up date of 09/29 was confirmed a month ago. But not gonna happen.
He says the 3rd block and prime has been finished but prep before paint still isn't complete.

Last edited:
Great post, Gitdowns, and very timely!
My '69 Dart is supposed to be paroled from its 'paint prison' is a couple of weeks and I've been curious as well about best way to progress since it'll be just a shiny painted rolling shell when it comes home.
How long was yours in for? Mine went to the paint shop on December 3, 2016.
Mine started in 1998. Three painters, still not happy about paint job.

Mine started in 1998. Three painters, still not happy about paint job.
I guess, the first thing I would like to know is, have the car on jack stands. Who makes the best brake and fuel line kits. Want to change to 3/8 fuel line. Also need body plugs, gaskets, all the little parts to get started with.

-
Back