My 7.25 is toast - where can I get a upgrade?

-

Kegerator

73 Duster 360/904 - Plum Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, guys n gals.

I have a 73 Duster with a 74- 360/904 combo, but it still has the little 7.25 rear end in the car. The oil in the rear was full o shiny metal flake and it's super sloppy, so I need a replacement. I'd like to find a 8.25, preferably rebuilt and a direct replacement. I can't seem to find a source anywhere. I'm in Melbourne, FL (near Orlando) Thanks in advance for the info.

EDIT: I'm wanting to upgrade from stock as I'm hoping to get more power. I figure if I'm having to replace it, I should upgrade. I was mainly wondering if there was a known company that supplies them.

Last edited:
I have one over here in the west side . In s 67 barracuda.

Are you talking about a stock 7.25 in the 67? If so, that would be the small bolt pattern, which wouldn't match my wheels. If you've got the bigger 8.25 rear, I'm interested. Thank you.

...preferably rebuilt and a direct replacement.

The 8 1/4 isn't a 100% direct replacement, but it's very close. You'll need to shorten the driveshaft slightly and you'll also need the shock plates and U-bolts. I was able to move over all the brake parts including the backing plates and drums from my BBP 7 1/4 when I did my swap. The hard part is finding one.

The 8 1/4 isn't a 100% direct replacement, but it's very close. You'll need to shorten the driveshaft slightly and you'll also need the shock plates and U-bolts. I was able to move over all the brake parts including the backing plates and drums from my BBP 7 1/4 when I did my swap. The hard part is finding one.

Ahh, so while they did put the 8 1/4 in some A bodies, the driveshaft length is different? I was hoping someone might know of a company rebuilding them so I could just buy one ready to go. It might be easier to find a built 8 3/4 if I'm going to have to change the driveshaft anyway. Your input is appreciated.

No matter what you upgrade to, an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 you need to give lots more info. What gearing, bolt pattern, size brakes, pinion size...you get it. No matter what you put in it you'll need driveshaft work or replacement. Guys have parts fairly close to you or ebay is always an option. I'd run a "wanted to buy" thread.
In any case I wouldn't replace that 7 1/4 with another 7 1/4 unless you really need to have it.
Here's a couple ebay links. One guy builds them to order but pricey if you're on a budget.
Good luck.

Mopar A Body 8 3/4 Rear end | eBay
Mopar 8 3/4 8.75 Complete A B E BODY Rear end COMPLETE assembly POSI Drum brake | eBay

I'm having an 8 3/4 built by Driveline Works. Thanks for all the input. After all that, I found that Joe is only 10 minutes from my house!

Ahh, so while they did put the 8 1/4 in some A bodies, the driveshaft length is different? I was hoping someone might know of a company rebuilding them so I could just buy one ready to go. It might be easier to find a built 8 3/4 if I'm going to have to change the driveshaft anyway. Your input is appreciated.

If you want something ready to go, order up a Ford 9" from Moser or Strange.

In 2021. Dollar for dollar, a ford 8.8 out of a ranger or explorer is the best value per dollar you can buy.

8.25 rear ends used to be plentiful but most people who say they are now in 2021 are living in the past because they are just not around and certainly not the cheap rear ends they used to be. Most sellers now are very proud of them even when they have crappy grandma gears and open.

Ford 8.8s are still very available and can be had for couple hundred or less and a lot of them come with limited slip already and gear selection is vast and very affordable. The summit catalogs they send you in mail have a list of parts available for the ford 8.8. The ford 8.8 can take all the horsepower your slant or small block can dish out and probably a lot more and they can be built with thicker axles and pinions for even more.

90s ford ranger or explorer at your local pick a part is where you are going to get a lot of rear end for minimal money.

In 2021. Dollar for dollar, a ford 8.8 out of a ranger or explorer is the best value per dollar you can buy.

8.25 rear ends used to be plentiful but most people who say they are now in 2021 are living in the past because they are just not around and certainly not the cheap rear ends they used to be. Most sellers now are very proud of them even when they have crappy grandma gears and open.

Ford 8.8s are still very available and can be had for couple hundred or less and a lot of them come with limited slip already and gear selection is vast and very affordable. The summit catalogs they send you in mail have a list of parts available for the ford 8.8. The ford 8.8 can take all the horsepower your slant or small block can dish out and probably a lot more and they can be built with thicker axles and pinions for even more.

90s ford ranger or explorer at your local pick a part is where you are going to get a lot of rear end for minimal money.

I didn't want to do the work to make a rear end work, which is why I went with the 8.75 built for an A body.

I have a friend who used to have the "Purple Stang" we all called it. Before he swapped to a power glide and a 9", the car went a best of 9 teens with the 8.8 and ahem...C4. Then he pulled the (unbroken) 8.8 and C4 and replaced them with a glide and the 9" and the car ended up getting into the mid 8s before he sold it. He used to meet us up at Brewster's for ice cream in that car quite a good bit. He drive it on the street a lot.

-
Back