my '70 Duster

-

hotrodder

Reaction score
By request, here's pic's of my '70 Duster. Not a whole lot to look at, and you can see what I mean by someone started work on it, but seemed to have quickly given up. Anyway, as for the cut out section in the floor, don't know why whoever did that, did it, but the metal that was cut out, is still in the car, so... See if I can get that fixed back up. I should have two more pic's coming up in a little bit, but for now, here ya go. Also, the trunk fllor, only part that is rusted is where the spare tire sits, I thought about just cutting that part out, and adding a fuel cell instead of getting a regular tank and all. So, any questions, comments?

jp4.JPG

jp5.JPG

jp7.JPG

jp8.JPG

jp9.JPG

jp11.JPG

jp12.JPG

jp13.JPG

Looks like you have a bit of work ahead of you :D One of my Dusters looks almost identical to that, I'll have to take a pic sometime.

Doesn't look to bad,those qtrs.can be fixed or replaced depending on how bad they are.The rot in the trunk is normal A-body rust area,i cut the entire trunk floor out of my Scamp do to rust problems and made a flat floor to run a fuel cell.

I think the hole in the floor was to do a 4 speed conversion looks to be in the right area I know the 3-4 shift rod goes over the cross member

Yeah I was thinking that someone had done some cutting to do a manual conversion, but never completed it...

IndianaDodge, you must be quoting the Charger, lol. There's really only one dent in the car that I can think of and that's on the driver side front 1/4 panel. The roof where the vinyl top was, and is going back, is a little rough, but will all be fixed.

dam see i am a real beginer and give it up to those with that much time or ability to wait because something like that would scar me

dam see i am a real beginer and give it up to those with that much time or ability to wait because something like that would scar me

If that Duster scares you, you should've seen the previous project I was gonna under take, but someone came along and bought it. The good thing about the Duster is that, being the shape it's in, I don't have to worry about messing something up that's original to the car, and then it not being a numbers matching car.... At this rate, I can do anything that I want to it. The only numbers on the car, is the VIN.:thumrigh:

Ok Hotrodder, I took a pic of one of mine that I said looks just like yours, check it out, they're almost twins :D

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

LOL, despite being one color, bumpers being there, amount of rust...., tail lights being in place, and other things, you're right, lol. Nice looking Duster though.

Actually the picture makes it look a lot better than it is, no running gear, no front bumper or grill and absolutely no floor at all. The seats look like a lion used them to sharpen his claws. I bought it for parts, mostly for the 8 3/4, paid $300 and dragged it out of a field where it sat for who knows how long.

Actually the picture makes it look a lot better than it is, no running gear, no front bumper or grill and absolutely no floor at all. The seats look like a lion used them to sharpen his claws. I bought it for parts, mostly for the 8 3/4, paid $300 and dragged it out of a field where it sat for who knows how long.

Hmmmmmmmmm...... Lets see here, no running gear, my axle is complete, but probably want hold up.... No front bumper, at least it's got a rear, mine don't have either one..... Floor, well.... Mine is in pretty good shape. Seats, mine has no interior what so ever except for the dash frame where the VIN is, heck the steering column sitting in the floor, isn't the original one to it, plus the keys are missing, so... It's no good to me. Besides, I'm going floor shift anyway, so... I bought this car to make it a drag car, put a full roll cage in it, 4 link it, big block and all the other bells and whistles, then found out it's an original Duster 340 car, and I don't have the heart to cut it up like that.... I pushed this car, along with a couple of buddies, out of a parking lot of other cars waiting to be worked on, around the fence corner, on the trailer, and pulled it to the house, pushed it off the trailer, and took the trailer back to my friends house..... And here the car sits. :glasses8:

I'll have to take a pic of the inside, it's at my son's house at the moment, it'll be coming back to my place soon. Did I mention it has vice grip steering :mrgreen: Fortunately I just parted out a rusty 4 door Dart so I can use the steering wheel off that for now. I haven't looked in the trunk yet, it's locked and missing the lock, probably pretty bad in there too. I'd say we're not worlds apart in overall condition. Different issues but lots of them either way.

LOL, mine stay closed, I just take a flat head screw driver to open the trunk lid.... As for steering, it uses the "kicker" steering, where you stand outside the car, and kick the tires to turn them. I just moved the car today in the yard, and used the kicker steering a few times. Car moved fairly well too, nice and light.

Funny you should say that, we had to move mine over a bit and it turns out one rear wheel is seized, we moved it sideways about 5 feet just rocking and pushing, gravel driveway helped with that. My camera crapped out so I didn't get any inside pics, next time.

I figured, since I've seemed to have gone missing from this site, I figured I say something, and to let you all know, the most action the car has seen so far is being pushed by me and only me around the yard.... I just don't know what I want to do with the car. :dontknow: If I continue to hold on to it, maybe I'll buy a good tarp, and wrap the car up in it, and hold it for a father son project for when he gets older, but man that's gonna be quite some time down the road.... For the fathers that are here on the board, and such, what would you all say would be the average age of a son becoming interested in stuff like that? I am gonna try my best to get him interested in these old cars, versus the new fart piper pieces of junk.... running around these days with the highly obnoxious exhuast that go by and you can't even here your ownself think.....

haha been there done that with the truck, except actually cut the entire back end off and graphed on an entire 76 duster truck from the bottom of the window back. Don't let anything scare you off, it's easier than you think !! Looks like a great project, good luck with it and have a blast !!!

Storing these cars outside is a tough deal, even with a tarp. The tarps sometimes act as a greenhouse, where most of the rust will continue inside of the car. The car still seems to be salvageable, and could make a good project, if not put off too long. Howard

I would say at about 12 years old they wuld take a keen interest if he is brought up around them. At that age they can be qute a help as well as learn some very useful skills. My son is 16 and because of my divorce he missed alot of learing things that they pic up from their father. He now lives with me but trying to teach him now seems scary when I see him doing some things the way that he does. I have a feeling I will end up working on hs future vehicles unkess he picks stuff up soon that he sees me doing. Start him early let him develope some life skills and bond at the same time. You will thank yourself for it during his teen years, believe me!

I would say at about 12 years old they wuld take a keen interest if he is brought up around them. At that age they can be qute a help as well as learn some very useful skills. My son is 16 and because of my divorce he missed alot of learing things that they pic up from their father. He now lives with me but trying to teach him now seems scary when I see him doing some things the way that he does. I have a feeling I will end up working on hs future vehicles unkess he picks stuff up soon that he sees me doing. Start him early let him develope some life skills and bond at the same time. You will thank yourself for it during his teen years, believe me!

Sounds good and all, but here's a question for any and all. Who wants to guess my boy's current age? Anyone? Well, in a couple of days (the 18th) he'll be exactly one year old, lol. I think it's gonna be a while before anything will happen with the car if I wait for that. Anyway, as for me, a lot of people said they don't figure out, or can't figure out, how I grew up (well, sorta, the childish boy part of me somewhat comes out when it comes to cars, but I don't get stupid with them anymore) the way I did. This is because I grew up with my mom, my mom and dad got divorsed before I was born so..... On the other hand, I did visit with him, but I wasn't really into cars until after my dad bought my grandfathers '70 Charger 500, and once I rode in it a few times, and eventualy got my license and drove it... I got hooked, and took off from there. I miss that Charger, maybe one day I'll be able to get it back in the family. I had to pass up on it down at the last Moultrie Ga car show that I attended, at the time, I want to say it had a $13k price tag on it. Now, that aint a bad price knowing what I know, yet at the same time, knowing what I know about it, it is..... I just about know the complete history of the car b/c my grandfather is the original owner. So here I sit, at 25, married, with a boy. I've owned two '69 Charger R/Ts, one an R/T SE, miss the R/T a lot.... Currently own a '67 International, '72 Charger SE, and the '70 Duster in which this thread is about. Have my own place, and have had it for a few years now. I suppose I'm not doing all that bad, lol. Anyway, I'm gonna head on, just got in from work, love the graveyard shift....:)

My two boys are 2 1/2 and 8 and they both love my old dart. Its pretty cool to have them helping me, cant wait for them to get a little older.

-
Back