My '71 ain't a '71...or is it?

-
Exactly how did you determine the block was a 73? I am assuming casting dates...

71 has a lot of one year only parts.

Let's see inside the trunk on the driver side and show a pic of the firewall.

71 has a lot of one year only parts.

Let's see inside the trunk on the driver side and show a pic of the firewall.

The weatherstripping is pretty well adhered to the trunk, didn’t want to mess with it. But here are the numbers on the firewall and radiator support, respectively.
53B6E04A-9E0C-4F24-9BAC-BB03DEAA81FE.jpeg
8D4F5CAD-632E-4A52-94EC-9E73441360D8.jpeg

How is your 318 engine rebuild coming along ?

It’s creeping along, thanks for asking. Finally found time to start and biffed one of the mains during install. Got a replacement set and got the crank in, then realized the pistons I bought require a 5/32” wiper instead of a 3/16. Special order of course. So now I wait... I started a 318 rebuild thread that I’ll be updating as I make progress.

Maybe as simple as wrong gasket kit? Car sure seems to be a 71.

I determined that the heater box is a 73. The gasket kit was for 68-72, and the instructions had pictures of the heater box which didn’t match mine.

The weatherstripping is pretty well adhered to the trunk, didn’t want to mess with it. .

Not talking about the numbers, let's see INSIDE trunk on the driver side. Does it have the one year only vapor separator tube. That was 71 only.

I'm not talking about the numbers on the firewall, I mean show a pic of the whole firewall. 71 had a lot of one year only things about it

Those are panel numbers, not the partial VINs.

Not talking about the numbers, let's see INSIDE trunk on the driver side. Does it have the one year only vapor separator tube. That was 71 only.

I'm not talking about the numbers on the firewall, I mean show a pic of the whole firewall. 71 had a lot of one year only things about it

Gotcha, sorry about that.
9E8FDF80-C810-400D-B165-97D5DDF1EBAD.jpeg
5AA5D9AA-A148-4F58-B22D-0C28CC859F46.jpeg

I'd say that is a 71.

I would buy it's a 71 all the way and I've been doing this a long time.

I determined that the heater box is a 73. The gasket kit was for 68-72, and the instructions had pictures of the heater box which didn’t match mine.
There is a difference between 71 a/c heater boxes and 71 non a/c heater boxes. Did you get the correct one in regards to a/c or non a/c??

It looks like you have the a/c box so a gasket kit for a non a/c box is going to be totally different and not fit.

There is a difference between 71 a/c heater boxes and 71 non a/c heater boxes. Did you get the correct one in regards to a/c or non a/c??
I bought the A/C kit, since my car has factory A/C. But I think it’s possible when they did the swap to the 73 engine, they brought over the A/C and heater box as well. ??

There’s also this bank of vents under the dash that I haven’t seen in other pictures. I’ve crudely slid it in place so you could see where it goes. Everything is all apart right now.
A065EB77-EE65-4BC3-9A29-E3822190E18E.jpeg

I bought the A/C kit, since my car has factory A/C. But I think it’s possible when they did the swap to the 73 engine, they brought over the A/C and heater box as well. ??
That sure looks like a 71 heater box set up in the pics.

A 73 heater box wouldn't bolt up without cutting and modification.

I would say it's more likely they shipped you the wrong gaskets. I will take pics later to show the difference between a 71 and 73 heater box on thre firewall and you will see the dramatic difference.

You have a 71 heater box and I would say other than changing the engine which is mega common, they left the rest of the car alone

There’s also this bank of vents under the dash that I haven’t seen in other pictures. I’ve crudely slid it in place so you could see where it goes. Everything is all apart right now. View attachment 1715469645
Everything you are showing about this car is 71. They changed the engine, which is a super common thing that happened.

Those a/c vents changed to black plastic by 73, so that is 71....71 ....71 all the way

That sure looks like a 71 heater box set up in the pics.

A 73 heater box wouldn't bolt up without cutting and modification.

I would say it's more likely they shipped you the wrong gaskets.

I appreciate all the help. I will say that the kit they sent me says on it 67-72 (I misspoke and said 68 earlier), and the instructions have pictures of the heater box which is night and day different from mine. Hopefully your pictures will help explain better. Thanks again

[QUOTE="Rainy Day Auto,
Those a/c vents changed to black plastic by 73, so that is 71....71 ....71 all the way[/QUOTE]

Hmm. Never new the vents were color keyed prior to 73
I thought they had been painted or it was an optical illusion.

Was there a vin stamping on the block ?
It would be interesting to see if it is possibly a warranty block.

The vents were chrome up to 71. They look blue because the reflection or overspray, but they should be chrome.

In 72 they changed to black plastic

Was there a vin stamping on the block ? It would be interesting to see if it is possibly a warranty block.

Warranty blocks have warranty tags.

Blocks sold to customers with cars out of warranty do not have warranty tags or VINs.

It would be interesting to see the partial VIN though at this point for sure if it has one.

-
Back