My 8 3/4 is out of what?

-

olddog12

Reaction score
I need to order the complete brake assembly for my 8 3/4 but NAPA (and me) need to know what car they fit and Im not sure.
It has the SBP, I measured from axle flange to flange and its 56 3/4, I looked at measurements I got off of mymopar and they list a 56 7/16 flange to flange so Im pretty sure that is what I have. Mymopar list it as either a 69 c body or 70-74 e body. I do have the backing plates and a set of shoes that came with the 8 3/4. I can measure the shoe size if needed.
Any thoughts on what car this would have came from?

If it is small bolt pattern, it could have only came from a A body.

I thought the A-body 8 3/4 was 52". The axles sound right if there SBP but the housing sounds wrong.

Was it disassembled when you got it ? You may have mis-matched parts. We got a 8 3/4 that was complete but had the wrong axles that were too short. Didn't find that till we tried to drive the car.Just a thought.

A body bare HOUSINGS are 52 5/8, those rear end charts floating around the net are mostly wrong.

Was it disassembled when you got it ? You may have mis-matched parts. We got a 8 3/4 that was complete but had the wrong axles that were too short. Didn't find that till we tried to drive the car.Just a thought.

It was disassembled yes. It is all assembled and seems fine but haven't drove it yet.

I will pull the axles out and get measurements for the axles & housing.

I thought the A-body 8 3/4 was 52". The axles sound right if there SBP but the housing sounds wrong.

A body bare HOUSINGS are 52 5/8, those rear end charts floating around the net are mostly wrong.

Replicaracer43 is correct. Housings are 52-5/8" wide and the total width of an a-body axle is 56-5/8" wheel flange to wheel flange

only thing with small bolt was abodys

Housing widths, flange to flange

A BODY
'66-'72= 52 5/8"
-----------------------------------

Rear end widths, drum-to-drum:

A BODY
'66-'72= 57 1/8"
-----------------------------------------

Spring perch widths (center-to-center)

A BODY
'66-73= 43"

I measured the pads and they are 10 'x 1 3/4".

Now Im getting some where. So what year/make car should I tell them I need brakes for?

Just tell them a 1970 Duster 340.

Yes, I like the 70 - 72 style brakes over the 68 style.

The 68 style has the lower spring for the shoes going to the adjusting lever, the 70-72 style has the lower spring go from shoe to shoe and the adjusting lever is by itself...

Get the spring kit, both side hardware kit, and shoes and tell them it's for a 70-72 Duster, Dart, Demon to get the proper parts...

Yes, I like the 70 - 72 style brakes over the 68 style.

The 68 style has the lower spring for the shoes going to the adjusting lever, the 70-72 style has the lower spring go from shoe to shoe and the adjusting lever is by itself...

Get the spring kit, both side hardware kit, and shoes and tell them it's for a 70-72 Duster, Dart, Demon to get the proper parts...

Awesome guys! I would and almost have thrown in the towel on this project had it not been for the people on this site. Much appreciated!

Awesome guys! I would and almost have thrown in the towel on this project had it not been for the people on this site. Much appreciated!

Don't do that. There is a bunch of knowledgeable and helpful members on here. All you have to do is ask.

-
Back