My car got a ride on the back of a flatbed today

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was at a picnic and needed to go home and feed and walk my dogs. I decided I would take my Duster back to the picnic. She fired up without any issues like usual and was driving along and all of a sudden she didn't sound right. I was in gear going down a hill but the car was not responding to any gas pedal pressure. Sure enough I put the car in neutral and it wasn't running....Oh boy. So I pop the hood and the first thing I see is no gas at all in the clear filter.....Called a friend and he brings me 5 gallons of gas. Pour a few gallons in the tank and some down the carb. Turn the key and she fires up.....I see gas in the filter....all is good so I thought......Car is idling and I decide to pour the rest of the gas in the tank.....Then the idle slowly gets slower and slower until it stalls out. Turn the key and the engine cranks but will not start. The clear gas filter is empty again which is odd cause it had gas in it when it started. So I called my friends at AAA and had her flatbedded back to my house where she is now sleeping. I will in the next few days start troubleshooting the issue but my gut fee ling is the fuel pump. I verified spark from coil but not at a plug as of yet.
IMG_2872[1].JPG

At least the driver dressed to match the car......

I'd think either fuel pump, or the sock in the tank is clogged.

Sounds like you are on the right track to me.

BTW, they don't slowly die out from a spark problem. :D

At least the driver dressed to match the car......

I'd think either fuel pump, or the sock in the tank is clogged.

or a tank vent line is clogged up
the OP said it ran for a minute after he added gas to the tank, if the vent is clogged up, removing the gas cap would relieve the problem
(reinstalling the gas cap would bring the problem back though)

or a tank vent line is clogged up
the OP said it ran for a minute after he added gas to the tank, if the vent is clogged up, removing the gas cap would relieve the problem
(reinstalling the gas cap would bring the problem back though)

He poured some in the carb at the same time.

-
Back