My car might be a fake? Please help.

-
This is a myth. Both of my 1970 Darts have the partial VIN on the radiator support.
I could not find the vin on the trunk seal or radiator support on the 340 swinger I picked up from Louis. I never saw the car when the body shop had the fenders off, so I cant confirm that theory 100%. The car had 3 torque boxes, no bucket seat supports and a counsel bracket welded to the floor.

it is also normal for the fender tag to be attached with screws on these cars.

Here's the main way you can tell. Is the number stamped on to the 340 block and tranny match the VIN??? I'm amazed nobody mentioned this. Sure the car could have been rebodied, but do the VIN on dash, on fender tag, on motor, and on trans match?

Also, as far as the rear seat, is it the same color on that sheet as the original interior color of your car? Is was not uncommon for a factory worked to install a rear seat designated for a different car as long as the interior color was the same.

My '68 Road Runner's numbers match everywhere, BUT, the broadcast sheet was for a different Road Runner that also had a burgundy interior.

Build sheets typically show up in different cars all the time, so that is zero indication of your cars true origin unless it bears your cars vin! Your car sports some hard evidence that it is an original 340 car! The torque boxes, 340 K frame, 8 3/4", all wouldve come on a 340 car!

As for the washer on the K frame, that I dictates that extra time was spent welding the supports together! In reality, probably about 1 minute extra was spent goobering more welds on the braces, but to you an indication of the cars origin!! Hope this helps, Geof

Your car may have been-repaneled with AMD panels that have no numbers.I have no idea how many times the "information kings" have said- that's not factory/real!We can only say that as a rule radiator support and trunk rails are the body number homes.Engine numbers transmission numbers give way to"warranty blocks" and transmission replacements.I will say this there are VERY few"survivors" in the hot rod era.How do I know? I was in it!!!If you only want your car for its"originality"more than likely you will be disappointed with it in some way or another.Dont let what some people with their own ideas rob you of enjoying a great car!!!

Your car may have been-repaneled with AMD panels that have no numbers.I have no idea how many times the "information kings" have said- that's not factory/real!We can only say that as a rule radiator support and trunk rails are the body number homes.Engine numbers transmission numbers give way to"warranty blocks" and transmission replacements.I will say this there are VERY few"survivors" in the hot rod era.How do I know? I was in it!!!If you only want your car for its"originality"more than likely you will be disappointed with it in some way or another.Dont let what some people with their own ideas rob you of enjoying a great car!!!

Memikie Likie :glasses7: so darn true :color:

just enjoy your car and quit fretting!
over the years I've seen original hemi cars the factory forgot the torque boxes,factory made typos on the tags, but either no build sheet back into the car or they stuffed sheets for 5-6 cars in that one car, etc.
details will vary by the plant that built the car. yes, radiator support and under the trunk lip weatherstrip is likely place to look for vin. like they said, very few will still have the # matching engine or trans, but they both will have the vin stamped on them ( starting 69 if I remember), no vin means warranty block.
also remember, Mopar was very good about building a car "your way" back then. black roadrunner with blue int. had one, not a factory offered combo, but they built it that way for that customer. just an e xample.

I fully understand the "value" thing about if it's an original or not. I also know that people want what they pay for. If you got faked out, I'm sorry for that. Perhaps the guy you bought it from was faked out also. I'm just glad I've never been into the numbers matching/"H"code stuff. I figured if I bought a 318 car then nobody's hiding anything. Put my own 340 (or whatever) in it and the tranny/rear end of my choice. About 35 % cheaper this way and drive the exact same car. That's just me though...

Hey liquidspine listen to d5667, I was around back then to. I have a numbers matching '70 dart I bought years ago that I just seen photos of, it was sold to me as a 340 for cheap, didn't know it was the real deal till it was delivered, I notified the seller and he didn't care, sold as is he said and we both laughed. My lucky day. So enjoy, yours looks to be real.

Jeff

THIS!!........you said you had the original broadcast sheet then found another.....which has the vin?
x10
Seems most of your concern is based on the /6 build sheet, so does it have the VIN?
Do you know how much work has been done to it? Had the car color been changed. If so, maybe the whole interior was swapped.

He might care depending on how much cash he dropped on the car.
I agree with the "it's your car do what you want" philosophy, but the fact is,
a numbers matching car is worth more $$$.

From everyone's great advice and info. Im about 99% its a real 340 car. But like a lot of you guys said Im just going to enjoy the car and drive it! Its a great car and my wife and I love to cruse around town.

To answer some questions...
It has had a color change,
the sheet I got with the car has the vin that matches all the tags and engine block.
The sheet I found under the seat does not match anything.

I think it was probably a mistake and put in the car by accident.

Thanks guys for all the help and happy motoring!

How much of a difference is it really gonna make if it is a "fake"? Is the car a 100% correct, never driven car? If not just forget it and move on with your life.

From everyone's great advice and info. Im about 99% its a real 340 car. But like a lot of you guys said Im just going to enjoy the car and drive it! Its a great car and my wife and I love to cruse around town.

To answer some questions...
It has had a color change,

the sheet I got with the car has the vin that matches all the tags and engine block.
The sheet I found under the seat does not match anything.

I think it was probably a mistake and put in the car by accident.

Thanks guys for all the help and happy motoring!

Perfect. Mystery solved.

-all docs you have for car match.

-second sheet is from other car.

Off topic: did that second sheet car have the same color interior and trim level as your car? Did it happen to be the same color car as yours too? Sometimes these cars are run in batches with similar but not exact options and paint.

-
Back