My converter has a stall speed of 2200-2400 , if my max torque

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
is 412 @ 4300 would I gain much with a higher stall converter ? Running 3.23 gears with 24.5 inch tires at the track 26 inch tires on the street . Only run at the track 5 or 6 times a summer so wondering if loss of gas mileage transmission heat would be worth it .
How much time do you think it could take off my E T in the 1/4 ?

My opinion is, a modern 3000/3500 converter will make your combo extremely strong.......

While it will act similar to your current set up as far as drivability and mileage, your lack of bite will probably not make much difference in your 60' & quarter mile times. You have a very nice 13sec ride at this point and i'd hate to see you dump some big $$$ into a combo that end's up being a wash as far as times go.

Do you think a 3000 stall is too high for street use? I'm kinda in the same boat myself. My motor makes all its power at 3300 rpm but I'm worried when cruising on the freeway at 3,000 rpm will my tranny build too much heat? I'm new to autos I've always had 4 speeds. Don't mean to be jumping on your thread I'm just having the same sort of question.

Ricky's right. I am a different animal. I build my mill,around my trans,and gears. (3:55's3400 .9.5 stall tight.). Jerry 6,what ,the 60 ft. times?.

Ask way gtmopar, I don't know much about modern coverters . I have the same worries about higway and heat

Gt, you might be able to use a larger converter. My concern for Jerry is, if you don't have the bite now, more converter is money spent on tire spin......

Ricky's right. I am a different animal. I build my mill,around my trans,and gears. (3:55's3400 .9.5 stall tight.). Jerry 6,what ,the 60 ft. times?.
don't remember , but not great 2. something , I'm spinning the tires through first gear , 60 ft times suck I make up for it once the tires grab

Found an old timeslip 60 ft 2.304 reaction time 1.238 330ft time 5.9 , 660 time 8.980 , 1/4 mile 13.914 100.01 mph , it was 92 degrees with 70% humidity . . That was with the bogoriffick AVS carb . My 60 ft times not gotten much better , reaction time is now much better .
Car wash threw all my new time slips out , my bad for leaving on the floor .

Gt, you might be able to use a larger converter. My concern for Jerry is, if you don't have the bite now, more converter is money spent on tire spin......
So no slicks I'd be wasting my money , I'd be spinning harder with a converter , is that about right ?
The 60 ft is where I'm losing time now that I don't have the carb bog , well I lost time with the bog carb as well cause once it ran the tires were on fire . The bog was eating at least 1/2 a second or more , If I launched hard with slicks I figure 1/4 sec off , that about right so best would be 13.0 flat ?

So no slicks I'd be wasting my money , I'd be spinning harder with a converter , is that about right ?

I think you can gain a little, but your car makes a lot of power, and if it's not hooking well now, and you try to leave hard, i don't see much overall improvement for the $$$ spent. Just my opinion Jerry.

I think you can gain a little, but your car makes a lot of power, and if it's not hooking well now, and you try to leave hard, i don't see much overall improvement for the $$$ spent. Just my opinion Jerry.
Makes sense , oh well I'll just settle for how it runs now , not worth the expense of converter and slicks for 6 runs a year

Makes sense , oh well I'll just settle for how it runs now , not worth the expense of converter and slicks for 6 runs a year

That's what i'm thinking.........But, I don't want to discourage you from stepping up. If you get it hooking, the 3500k ish converter would definitely help. I'm just thinking of the cost/benefit at this point.

There's than balancing game,again. Not even close to worth it.

Maybe rear end setup would help a great deal as well. Maybe some cal tracs? What ya running right now? At least you don't have a power issue like most, just got to find a way to plant it! Lol. So are you using a drag radial? Like I said before I'm with ya on generating too much heat if your cruise speed rpm is right in the stall range. Guess there's a trade off with everything huh?

You need a sticky tire first before thinking of a converter swap. Period. Short stickys and the correct converter(gears would help as well) would drop your et's a bunch!

Maybe rear end setup would help a great deal as well. Maybe some cal tracs? What ya running right now? At least you don't have a power issue like most, just got to find a way to plant it! Lol. So are you using a drag radial? Like I said before I'm with ya on generating too much heat if your cruise speed rpm is right in the stall range. Guess there's a trade off with everything huh?
that's the trouble , I do a lot of highway driving , 3200 rpm at 70 mph . Have HD springs , frame connectors and regular radials . Geuss there is no free lunch , will have to settle for 13,3 ,until I get the gearvendor overdrive . Hoping that might let me change to better gears and keep the revs down on the highway . See I'm crazy , want fast , good gas mileage and a car that is dead reliable .
Thanks for the explanations on converters , just don't think it will work for my car and driving conditions , lots of highway right in the 3000-3200 zone .

Amen bro I'm right there with ya. Chit 13.3 is haulin some good ***! I think you dial in your tire combo and 12's are right there. I went through 4 sets of slicks before I found a good combo that worked well for me.

I agree with getting some sticky tires first. You'll be amazed how much they can help. Knocked 1/2 sec off my Cuda but it was spinning pretty bad with the radials. By the sound of it yours might be the same. If you do get the traction issues worked out a converter swap can help quite a bit and a good modern converter is nothing like the ones of the old days that slipped a lot until you got them up to speed. I have a PTC in my Cuda and it'll foot brake stall 3200+ (the tires break loose at that point) and flash 3500+ yet it drives every bit as good as the 2200 stall Mopar perf. converter I had in it and the only time it builds more heat is when I'm dogging it hard. We cruise a lot and when you take off easy you'd never guess it'll stall 3500 but mat it and you see real quick.

Fishy, have a way hated 9.5 GER converter. Been beautiful, ,in every way. Was 5 bills,in 98. Advertised,3200-3600. 2900,3000 behind a 380,horse hombuilt 360. The nasty 408 ,went a blazing 3300 ,on a flash. I like it.

Fishy, have a way hated 9.5 GER converter. Been beautiful, ,in every way. Was 5 bills,in 98. Advertised,3200-3600. 2900,3000 behind a 380,horse hombuilt 360. The nasty 408 ,went a blazing 3300 ,on a flash. I like it.

Good deal Bomber. Sounds like a Hughes on how it's a little tighter than spec'd. I haven't ran a GER but have read several people hating on them.

-
Back