My dodge dart will not go past 70 mph at about 3000rpms?

-

captain america

Reaction score
I have a 1972 dodge dart with a 383, the problem is the car runs strong until I hit about 70mph and about 3000rpms. The car wont go and faster then 70mph and starts to sputter down. Does anyone know what this problem could be?

The carburator linkage should be adjusted properly it was fine about 2 months ago. I will have to check tomorrow though being that I had to get ready to go into work when this problem accrued.
Thank you

I have not even had a chance to look into what the problem could be. The car has not been driven in 2 months, but the engine is only about 4 years old I will check the fuel filter.
Thank you

The low grears feel great the car has no problem its just when i get to about 70 mph car almost feels like it hits a wall and can not go any faster.

I should have been more specific. What I was trying to determine was if the engine was capable of its full RPM range in first and second (or even third if it's a 4-speed).

Yes I believe the engine is capable of its full RPM range in first and second. I wouldn’t say I am 100 percent though I have been away for work and haven’t even had the chance to see if it is. I will also have to check to see if it’s a fuel problem when I get home Friday. Any more ideas on what it might be will be very helpful.

Thank you

Had a coil do that years ago. After third carb it finally reared its head. Made me feel like a butt.

I'm still thinking. One of the things I have done is go for broke and when it hits max speed let off the throttle in the hope that the bowls will fill up, then hit it again and see if a little more speed can be coaxed out of it. If so it could be a fuel prob, but if you are getting serious acceleration in the lower gears I think it is not a fuel problem.

i bet its running out of fuel too ,

one thing -- get under the car and inspect rubber fuel lines near the gas tank ,

also pull the pickup/sender out of the tank and clean the filter on the end

Yes I believe the engine is capable of its full RPM range in first and second. I wouldn’t say I am 100 percent though I have been away for work and haven’t even had the chance to see if it is. I will also have to check to see if it’s a fuel problem when I get home Friday. Any more ideas on what it might be will be very helpful.

Thank you
this should be determined first :sign7: It could be something as simple as not getting full throttle :burnout: . . . . just an idea

If it has a snorkle type air cleaner a shop towel or rats nest in there will cause this symptom. A failing coi,l or coil wire, or weak charging system, all possible causes.
Throttle cable slipped in its clamp,

I say its fuel related also, A bad coil will act'd up in any gear, its affected by RPM if its going out.

Not having full throttle on the carb will not cause it to break up & fall on its face.

I had this problem on my 73 swinger after installing a 440, strong through 1st. & most of 2nd. by 3rd. gear it was a wash, It was a fuel starvation problem, It drove me crazy trying different things, at idle the fuel supply all seemed fine, I dropped the tank & it was rusty & pick-up tube was 1/2 clogged, the main line to the engine was trash, it was rusted & a bunch of sludge/contamination, I was shocked it even ran. After installing all new line with 3/8 & a new gas tank it was a whole new ride & it hailed azz too.

Thanks for everyones help. It was a fuel problem I replaced the gas tank and ran all new lines. The car runs great now sounds like I had the same exact problem as joedust451 did.

-
Back