My Duster has to go bye bye

-
me personally I like Chromabase. I looked at Prospray and Deltron and it didn't look as good on the card when it dried as the Chromabase did.

That looks gorgeous!
Does that base cover good? I did my buddies Dart using PPG, it was almost transparent! Took almost two gallons to cover! It looked great color wise! But just took alot of color. I've used it in other colors and it covered just fine. Thanks Shane. And again that looks sweet!

Shane, it took just a little over a gallon of paint to do what we did on the car. 2 qts base and 2 qts reducer. being that we went over purple it didn't take as much. didn't do inside the trunk and jambs. with that said, I am going up to the paint store and getting another qt. today to do the firewall, jambs and some mirrors I have. overall it covered pretty good. the first time we painted the car it took 6 qts base though. If we had gone with waterbourne paint it would have taken about 1/2 the base but it was more expensive and I like solvent better. Tyler did the 73 Dart Sport in waterbourne.

Very nice!! Plum Crazy is an awesome color.

About the buffing and wet sanding... I'm a hobbyist detailer and have done paint corrections before. What did you use to buff the paint? If you used a rotary buffer with a wool pad it probably left behind a lot of swirls in the paint. If you want the most shine.. go back over the car again but this time use a DA polisher with a foam pad. This will remove all the swirls that the rotary buffer puts in and it'll give you that show car shine. I've had good luck with Meguiar's M105 compound and M205 polish. Lake Country CCS pads are great as well. Paint can go from great to jaw dropping just by polishing it well!

You've got a sweet car and I can't wait to see it when it's all back together!

Shane, it took just a little over a gallon of paint to do what we did on the car. 2 qts base and 2 qts reducer. being that we went over purple it didn't take as much. didn't do inside the trunk and jambs. with that said, I am going up to the paint store and getting another qt. today to do the firewall, jambs and some mirrors I have. overall it covered pretty good. the first time we painted the car it took 6 qts base though. If we had gone with waterbourne paint it would have taken about 1/2 the base but it was more expensive and I like solvent better. Tyler did the 73 Dart Sport in waterbourne.

Thanks for the reply! I noticed the tinted primer! On my buddies Dart i did the inside of the doors dash and engine compartment. I'm going to try the paint you used on my 68'! Again thanks for the reply! Are you going to Louisville for the nationals?

No on the Louisville. I am getting all 3 cars ready to go to Cruising the Coast down in Mississippi on the beach. That will take up what time I have along with the other projects we have promised people till then.

BlueDream, we use the 3M 3 stage compound polish for all our buffing. we sand it out first with 1200-2000 grit sandpaper before we buff. we use a big buffer with a foam pad, not a wool pad to keep from putting the swirls. we also use alcohol/water mix for wiping.

I am gonna love that BB.......... I have had that BB in there for 14 years now. did you think I was just putting it in for the first time ?

firewall was painted tonight. looks good to me. going to drop the engine back in tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC08432.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC08434.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC08436.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC08437.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 76
-
Back