My duster is heavy! What does yours weigh?

-

Uhcoog1

Reaction score
Took my duster to the truck stop and got weighed on the scales there.

3,580 pounds! With a 50 lb spare, in the trunk,'a full tank of gas,'and no one in the car.

Sounds heavy to me. What does your duster weigh? And what are the car specs?

Mine:
73 Plymouth duster,'originally a gold duster
5.7 Hemi forged. Alum heads, hilborn intake
Aluminum radiator
Tko600 5 speed
Lakewood bell housing
Ford 9" floater axle
18x9.5 with 265/40/18 on all 4
14"x1.25" brakes on all 4 with viper calipers
Full interior. Aftermarket buckets. Stereo system.

The lakewood, 9" and brakes (are HOW BIG?) aren't light, don't know about the 5 speed

That's as heavy as some "B" & "E bodies....lol. I think that scale was probably off. I used to use some scales at landfill's and such, and they weren't really accurate, more concerned about the difference in weight. Unless you have some unknown lbs's in there, I think 3300 max with no driver is more realistic?

Sounds about right to me. That's a lot of hardware you got going. Seems like a great driving car. I won't upset you and tell you what my 64 Dart weighs. Even if its comparing apples to oranges.

1971 /6 @ 2950. Now add a few pounds for the big block 400 with aluminum intake and headers. More aluminum to come as well as fiberglass parts and cage.

I think 3300 max with no driver is more realistic?

After looking at the list again, I'm probably wrong with my above statement.

Fuel & spare...+200ish
4 Lg wheels & tires...+100ish
A few more nickel & dimes...

Man, it really does add up :banghead:.

My friend's 78 Aspen is 3900lbs! :( My 2007 Magnum was 4150 with 1/4 tank & driver.

My Duster came in at 3220#. Since the weigh in I've added an a/c compressor and hoses.
318, 904, 8 1/4, 7" steelies, fiberglass bumpers.
C

Attachments

• Duster weight.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 640
Weighted our 71 Duster at the race track Friday night...2850..

Well, for one thing you weighed it with a FULL tank of gas! That will add a bit right there with gasoline around 6 1/4 lbs. per gallon. Second, you got those bigger bumpers too on a '73. Don't know if that year has the shock absorber things behind the bumpers, do they?

Big rotors, big wheels and that Lakewood scattershield......wow, I sold one at a swap meet and couldn't believe how heavy it was.

Shipping weights online:
1970 Plymouth duster- 3110 lb
1974 Plymouth duster- 3315 lb
*I'm assuming this is without fuel (or a couple gallons at most) so add 100 lb for fuel for an accurate comparison to my weight.

1970 Plymouth 340 727 duster as tested in 'car life' magazine - 3520 lb (reported on allpar.com). Thought that was interesting.

my wheels & tires weigh 55-60 lb each. I figure that's easily 100 lb over the factory set up?

My front bumper is 65 lb with brackets and reinforcements. Heavier than 70-72 no doubt.

+ 70 for heavier bumpers
+ 100 for fuel
+ 100 for wheels and tires
+ 25 heavier spare tire
= 3405 lbs

I'm guessing the other 175 lbs comes from AC, stereo, chassis and k frame stiffening, Lakewood bellhousing, etc. Oh well.

I'm thinking fiberglass bumpers and hood will go a long way to helping me drop weight. 150 lbs worth I imagine. Drop the spare tire (50-60 lb). Even maybe swap to lighter wheels (50 lbs). I'd love to see sub 3300 lbs... Definitely worth trying.

Tremec's are heavy. I've swapped two in Mustangs. One for a t-5 the other for a t-45 and both times the tremec was heavier. If I had a guess, 50- 75lbs heavier.

The newer cars started to take on more crash/impact supports.

Fiberglass, hood, bumpers, trunk lid. All Lexan, no interior, except aluminum dash, and 1 seat. 2450 without driver.

my all steel big block 73 dodge dart weighs 3520 with me in it.i do have aluminum heads but still have to get a 8 or 10 point cage put in it. so thats probly going to add another 100+ pounds?

also my old B-body 65 Plymouth belv II weighed 3460 with me in it. but it had wilwood brakes front and back,only one fiberglass race seat and a fiberglass hood.the rest of the car was steel, but it did have a dana 60 and a 10 point cage in it.

BTW my Dart tipped the scales at the scrap yard at 3460 lbs. Take my fatass out of the equation and my car should weigh in around 3100 lbs with 5 gallons of gas.

-
Back