My Engine Moved!

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey FABO, I need some advice. I put a 400HP 340 in my 68 Dart 270. I tried a burnout and got some wheel hop. After the burnout attempt it was hard to push in the clutch. I got home and found that the z-bar was hitting the header and the rubber engine mounts had small tears in both sides. I never knew there was a concern about engine movement. What is the solution? Solid mounts? Torque strap? The Dart is just a weekend driver. Thanks FABO.

I just got done shimming my passenger side motor mount 1/4" to level out the motor. Must be the flimsy rubber used in the mounts these days. Going back to solid motor mounts first chance I get (used them back in the '70's without any problems: without any vibration, etc.)

There are engine mounts that have an internal "keeper" to keep the mount from seperating.

Sounds like it's running right! If you use solid mounts, get a poly transmission mount, too. Would love to see some pics of it.

There are engine mounts that have an internal "keeper" to keep the mount from seperating.
And someone here was making plates to bolt above and below the mount to do the same thing. I should have bookmarked the thread. :BangHead:

I think it was Moparmatt selling the brackets.

I took a stock biscuit mount, cut off one of the bolts and drilled all the way through it. Put in a carriage bolt so it goes through the whole mount. Motor still sits on the rubber, so not much vibration. Mount can’t come apart, since the bolt goes all the way through. Pretty good hillbilly solution & only cost a buck for the bolt.

Check out Schumacher's '67-'72 A-Body poly lock engine and trans. mounts. I have Schumacher's on a '70 Sport Satellite 383HP 4 speed....problem solved.

Man, I hate hearing stories like that. I really liked their products. Perhaps someone has some old inventory. (?)
I don't think so. Someone is assuming their products. Someone will chime in with the details.

I bought the Mancini Racing Magmounts. Here is a pic of the failed mounts.
IMG_2025.JPG

Yow, you definitely need a limiter if it destroyed the mounts that bad.

-
Back