My Favorite Author, Tom Clancy, Gone At 66

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Jack Ryan's creator, author Tom Clancy, died yesterday in a Baltimore hospital at age 66. The article I read did not give a cause of death.
Clancy has been my favorite author ever since his first book, "The Hunt For Red October", came out in 1984. His upcoming book, "Command Authority" will be released for sale on December 3. All of his books have been excellent techno, military and espionage thrillers.
Who am I going to read now?
Four movies have been made based on his books: "The Hunt For Red October", "Patriot Games", "Clear And Present Danger", and "The Sum Of All Fears". A fifth movie, "Jack Ryan: Shadow One" will be released in December.
A little bit of Tom Clancy trivia: his wife is Colin Powell's niece.

Here's a link: http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=830346

Just saw this on Yahoo , my second favorite author . Reading " Sum " right now . That really sucks . He was very talented and knowledgeable about " the other side " of Washingtons beauracracy . RIP , Tom .

Never heard of him.

Sorry to read this.

I enjoyed the hell out of his earlier works with The Hunt for Red October kicking it all off, but I think that Red Storm Rising and Without Remorse rank as my favorites in that everything didn't revolve around Jack Ryan (or his kid).

I think the last one of his Jack Ryan books I read was the one where the Japanese businessman crashes the 747 into the US Capitol just after Jack is sworn in as the Vice-President. Executive Orders, I think?

I think the last one of his Jack Ryan books I read was the one where the Japanese businessman crashes the 747 into the US Capitol just after Jack is sworn in as the Vice-President. Executive Orders, I think?

Executive Order is where he gets sworn in and goes after the Japanese cabal that ordered the attack. There's a few more after that in which Jack is the main character. Guess when Jack got long in the tooth he moved on to Jack Jr.

To me both characters were getting a little long in the tooth. Decent reads at the end, but nothing I'd compare to The Hunt for Red October or The Cardinal and the Kremlin.

I'd rank him fourth or so in my list of authors that I'll go back and re-read what I've read before. Anne McCaffrey, Chris Claremont, and Robert E. Howard would be the top three.

Did you ever see the movies "The Hunt for Red October", "Clear and Present Danger", "Patriot Games", or "The Sum of All Fears"? Those were all Tom Clancy books that were turned into movies.

Yup. Seen the first three. Still never heard of the guy.

One of my fav writers ... too bad , he would have had a few more adventures for Jack or maybe some more insight into the military world... he wrote some good non fiction stuff with some of his special op buddies

Great author! Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin my favorites! Also recently lost Vince Flynn (in June I think), author of American Assassin (the Mitch Rapp series).

Great author and a real stand up guy. He will be missed. Surprised no one mentioned Shadow Warriors, but that is non-fiction. My favorite of his books.

Great author! Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin my favorites! Also recently lost Vince Flynn (in June I think), author of American Assassin (the Mitch Rapp series).

Holy sh... I hadn't heard that! I loved the Mitch Rapp series! Dammit! Why do the good ones go, and yet we're still stuck with J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyers?

-
Back