My first 440 build for my 74 Dart

-

arnie_human

Reaction score
Hello guys

After some time of peace and quite in the Dodge 440 department it is now time to really start my 440 build. Because want to get married in my Dart Swinger on September 2nd next year.

There for I could use some advice and experience. I`m getting my 440 to the machine shop soon and it will get a set of forged pistons and new bearings and a new bore and decking.

But now I am looking at some setup options. I allready purchased a Weiand Tunnel with 2 2x4 carbs. Not for shure if going to use this as my setup.

But perhaps some of you could help me out by posting some build specs you got or setup options for me ?

I am looking for a good street setup which is good for cruising along with other classic cars. Dont wanna drive full throtle all the time ;) But still able to lay it down on the tarmac from time to time.

Hope that you guys can help a felow Mopar enthousiast out.

gr Arnoud

Going to need a lot more information. Expected power level, fuel being used, trans., rear gear, rear tire size etc..

allow me to provide some inspiration.... since you have a Weiand Hi-Ram & and a 440, building a torque monster could be a really good option for you, check these out next time time youre sitting on the crapper:

Weiand Hi-Ram on a solid 440:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0109-440-head-buildup-dyno-test/

Weiand Hi-Ram on a 383 (part 1)
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0712-mopar-intake-manifold-comparo/

Weiand Hi-Ram on a 383 (part 2)
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0801-mopar-intake-manifolds/

various "conventional style" intake manifolds on a built 440 (i particularly enjoyed the original Torker & Street Dominator results)
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0207-intake-manifold-engine-and-rpm-range-test/

and my absolute FAVORITE 440 build articles! "440 resto to rad" part 1
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0104-buildup-1969-440-magnum-engine/

440 resto to rad (part 2)
http://www.compcams.com/information/Articles/Type/Chrysler/CC_MM0401-001.asp

Just the fact that the only intake manifolds i own are my Sonoramic Long Rams, an original Torker 440 and a Weiand Hi-Ram should pretty well indicate what style of Big Block i prefer so ill share my projects setup as well:

'71 440 Duster (originally a /6 manual steering/manual brake car)
- stock, unrebuilt motor & tranny out of my'66 New Yorker
- Schumacher header/ motor mount kit
- 3" x-pipe (no exhaust on it yet as of tonight!!! gonna go 3" Ultra-Flos tho)
- MSD Distributor / 6AL combo
- stock '66 intake manifold with a newer AVS on top

GONNA SWAP IN:
- my 452 heads that i just bought on Sunday @ Pomona (after theyre ported)
- my Sonoramic Long Rams (30" runner version)
- either gonna go dual Holleys or dual Thermoquads in the short term
- long term is gonna be an MPFI EFI system (thinking SDSEFI just to be different)
- gonna swap in an A518 tranny (via an UltraBell & fabbed up tranny x-member)
- for gears im gonna go 3.55s on a spool in my 8-3/4
- /6 front suspension is staying on, CalTrac bars, braced torque boxes, subframe connectors, 11.75" front disc brake swap etc etc etc - all the mandatory stuff for a Big Block A-Body)

hydraulic roller cam & a rebuilt long block down the line at some point

a setup like this is totally highway-rpm friendly with the OD tranny BUT itll lay the smack down if i need to merge quickly onto the fwy or should some other "high performance" situation arise ; )

so anyway, a mild mannered 91 Octane street bruiser is what im going for, kinda sounds like what you want too... enjoy & good with your build broskie!!!

At the moment I got my hands on a standard 8.75 C-body rear axle which is going to be made to fit my A-body. This is a standard axle so I believe 2,73 ratio? Bit this can be changed ik neccesary. Rear tires are 235/60R15 at the moment but also can be changed ik neccesary. Power level hope to get around 400 or above. But this is not my main goal, HP is nice but with my budget build in mind it is not a fixed goal. Tranny is a standard 727.

Hope this is enough info.

Gr Arnoud

I've built 2 440 darts. Both are street machines that can perform at the track if so desired but their primary use is to be reliable and fun on the street.

I would tell you to put yourself in the 10:1 or 10.5:1 range in regards to compression whether you are running iron or aluminum.

Stay the hell away from tunnel rams and dual carbs. KISS, go with an eddy performer RPM and a single 4 bbl in the 850 to 950 range with mechanical secondary's. Drop an HVH super sucker1" on top. It's worth 10-15hp and the same in torque.

In regards to the cam you want to be between 235 and 245 @.050 and have a 112-114LSA and I'd stick with solid lifters, a roller if you can afford it.

I've had my best luck with Harland sharp rockers.

Headers I'd run TTI but schumachers are ok too.

If you are going to go with iron heads (which I wouldn't drop a dime into) I would put as little money as possible in them and go towards the top end of my recommended duration range on the cam. If you go with aluminum heads I'd highly recommend eddy RPMs. They are a great head with lots of room to grow.

Hope that helps.

I've built 2 440 darts. Both are street machines that can perform at the track if so desired but their primary use is to be reliable and fun on the street.

I would tell you to put yourself in the 10:1 or 10.5:1 range in regards to compression whether you are running iron or aluminum.

Stay the hell away from tunnel rams and dual carbs. KISS, go with an eddy performer RPM and a single 4 bbl in the 850 to 950 range with mechanical secondary's. Drop an HVH super sucker1" on top. It's worth 10-15hp and the same in torque.

In regards to the cam you want to be between 235 and 245 @.050 and have a 112-114LSA and I'd stick with solid lifters, a roller if you can afford it.

I've had my best luck with Harland sharp rockers.

Headers I'd run TTI but schumachers are ocarbs.all I did was

If you are going to go with iron heads (which I wouldn't droidle.the car was me into) I would put as little money as possible in them and go towards the top end of my recommended duration range on the cam. If you go with aluminum heads I'd highly recommend eddy RPMs. They are a great head with lots of room to grow.

Hope that helps.
Why is everybody so afraid of a tunnelram? If the op already has it I say try it.i had a 440 I threw togeather at the time because I didn't have the money for the good parts.i used a mopar m1 tunnelram and a pair of out of the box edelbrocks 750 carbs.all I did was pull them out of the box put them on and set the idle.the car was a 3600 pound 65 Plymouth belvedere II. That car would run 11.70 all day long and I drove it on the street every wear.i couldn't be leave how street able the tunnelram was compared to my edelbrock torque 440 and holley 750 DP.

AMEN MOPAR65!!!!!

having dual quads is no big deal at all, as long as youre not too far out of whack as far as matching up your other components (carb size, cu", heads, cam, converter, rear gear, etc .etc) go.

all it takes is doing a little homework and presto bango - good running big block with a badass lookin' tunnel ram guiding the way!!!!

besides, we all know you didnt buy a tunnel ram with the intentions of not running it!!!! dont let anyone talk you out of it brotha!!!! if you liked it enough to throw down some scratch for it then throw that sucker on!!! worst case if you dont like it you can always sell it but either way, its definitely possible to make your Hi-Ram work with your end goal ; )

good luck with it and DONT FORGET TO POST PLENTY OF PICS!!!!!!!

So a tunnel ram will give me enough lower torque as well?
I dont neem to be in the 4000 rpm range all the time to be in the power band?

Why is everybody so afraid of a tunnelram? If the op already has it I say try it.i had a 440 I threw togeather at the time because I didn't have the money for the good parts.i used a mopar m1 tunnelram and a pair of out of the box edelbrocks 750 carbs.all I did was pull them out of the box put them on and set the idle.the car was a 3600 pound 65 Plymouth belvedere II. That car would run 11.70 all day long and I drove it on the street every wear.i couldn't be leave how street able the tunnelram was compared to my edelbrock torque 440 and holley 750 DP.

My car does the same, literally, but on 1 carb and under the hood. To each their own.

So a tunnel ram will give me enough lower torque as well?
I dont neem to be in the 4000 rpm range all the time to be in the power band?

Low end power isn't an issue with the 440. The tunnel ram, while it makes good high RPM power also makes good low RPM power as well. The whole high RPM power band is a myth that has been disproved on many occasions. I don't like them for multiple reasons. They are harder to tune, they are ugly (just my opinion) They stock out of the hood. They are unnecessary. So to me, why go through the *** ache when a single 4bbl gives you just as much performance with less money spent and less effort?

If you have one and want to run it, by all means be my guest. 440 intakes are dry and don't take much to change. Do you have the carbs?

400 hp is sooo easy to do with a 440! At that power level you do not need a solid lifter cam, aftermarket heads or compression above 9:1. Keep it simple (low maintenance) and reliable. A good rebuild, performer rpm or you're tunnel ram, 9-9.5:1 compression, hydraulic flat tappet cam 230-235 @ .050 with a 114 lsa, headers and factory iron heads with a good 3 angle valve job will exceed you're expectations. Cam choice can be critical depending on the rest of the combination. I'd suggest getting the cam from someone like Dwayne Porter and letting him spec it for you.
With that little rear tire I'd throw a spare set of wheels in the trunk! LOL.

I saw that the 440 Source Super Stealth heads are up for sale now. And at that price it is a great deal I think. Any of you have them on youre engine ?? And do they make a big difference against standard heads ??

gr Arnoud

I bought a set of super stealth heads today, and am now looking for rocker options.

Any of you know the beat bang for the bucks for a super reliable noise free street machine??

I would need .650 offset rockers I believe.

Gr Arnoud

There are a lot opinions on here and none are wrong. Some just more right than others for what you are trying to do. Tunnel ram is cool. Not sure how practical when it is sticking out of the hood. I encountered a bunch of nonsense in trying to put together a stock appearing 72 with a 440. Car is burning tires through 2nd gear without trying hard. At some point the 4:10 gears will need to be replaced and the car will be tuned and adjusted for everything from suspension, take off, gearing, tire size, etc. The motor is a 72 .060 over at just under 10:1 compression. Big valves, roller rocker, decent cam. Full TTI exhaust. Look over the build and I will be glad to tell you where I had to go back and address things I did not think of.

-
Back