My first /6 build is ...

-

dave66dart

Reaction score
My first /6 build is ... finally done. :cheers::cheers::cheers: bored 0.30 over, polished and balanced crank, the head has been shaved 0.90 with large valve's 1.70 and 1.44 intake and exhaust. a comp cams 264, all new internals, fuel, water and oil pump's. a 2 barrel intake. I will be running dual exhaust system, which leads me to my first of two question's, has anyone fabricated their own dutra duals if so how. And my second question does anyone make a carb adapter for a holly 2300c to /6 or should look to trade for a carter bbd

Attachments

• IMG_5805 resize.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_5804 resize.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 317
Hey Dan, isn't there some Holley offerings that have a different bolt patern?

Wrong. Yeah, it will. The Carter BBD 2bbl was standard equipment on top of that very manifold.

Yeah...at idle.:thebirdm:

He has a cam in the thing...close to what I had...

and guess what?...the carter 2 brl would cack out at 3500rpm =too lean.

Here I am with real experience tryint to help a guy, and you come in with your expert opinion based on what?..lolly p:happy10:ps & unic:happy10:rns??

OMG thats so cool slant six's just have a nostaliga to them great looking motor sir

Wrong. Yeah, it will. The Carter BBD 2bbl was standard equipment on top of that very manifold.
Ok just so i understand the carter two barrel was standard equiptment on two barrel /6's and should be fine with the 264s from comp, correct? now were did i get the fancy chrome v/c took a whole to find the receipt, it was on ebay from KMJ performance for 21 cdn. OH and before i forget Dan you sure are a dead ringer for my high school auto shop teacher from Edmonton ...

ok that makes more sense my cam is only a comp cam 252.

I had a .030 over .020 off the block/.060 off the head [before big valve install] and had the stock valve size head ported, I ran a full length 6 into 1 w/3'' collector into 2 1/4 pipe out the back. I also had the iron 2 brl manifold and carter off my 318 dart.

All of that plus my MP .460 lift 268* dur cam and the carter was LEAN!!!! and would not rev beyond 3500 rpm, at the most.
I fiddled springs a lil and sand papered the rods [before I was cab savoy] and no dice still was not enough....so I ran a 'roach chaser' 2G off of a 307 and it worked but was pretty fat during cruise...to the point that the engine lugged hard beyond 2000 ft elevation and would not go faster than 50 mph.

When I got the money...I bought a 350 holley 2 brl and slapped it on, it ran GREAT and would rev up to redline and make great power.

If you want to mess with old carter [needs lighter springs] or your combo is milder than mine, the carter might be for you.

If you just want a very easy to tune, readily available part wise carb that is no headache.....Get a Holley.

Ok just so i understand the carter two barrel was standard equiptment on two barrel /6's and should be fine with the 264s from comp, correct?

Correct on both counts, not sure where the other guy in this thread is getting his claim that you have to change springs and do other fiddle-futzing around, but my guess is that he started with a BBD in poor condition or otherwise poorly chosen. Perhaps it was a "remanufactured" piece of junk. His claim that the car won't run right is not correct; if you start with a carb in good shape you don't have to twaddle any turnips or change any springs. And you don't need to mess with an old carburetor, either, if you don't want to. If you look around, you can find a new Carter BBD, or Stromberg WW3, or Holley 2280. The BBD was factory-installed on 2bbl slant-6s, and all three of these carb models were factory installed on 273 and 318 V8s in various years. Do not use a lean-burn carburetor, nor a carburetor equipped for feedback mixture control in conjunction with an oxygen sensor (the latter started in the early '80s on some models).

If you do go shopping for new BBDs, beware the Chinese copycats being sold all over eBay. I don't know about you, but I surely don't want a Chinese piece of no-name junk holding gasoline on top of my engine! :shock: These are sold with vague applications covering an improbable year range ("66-79", etc.) and are often described as "low top" or "high top". Avoid.

The easiest unit to install is the one meant for a slant-6. There are calibration differences, but they are inconsequential to driveability and performance; a 273/318 carb works just as well in most cases. The physical difference you have to watch out for is the choke lever. It's spaced further away from the carb body on the slant-6 carbs, so the slant-6 2bbl choke thermostat pushrod won't hook right up to the V8 carb. It can be made to work with some creativity (and on the '77-up BBDs, the choke lever is screwed to the end of the choke shaft rather than staked on, so if necessary you can swap on a \6 choke lever). The only calibration-related thing you have to watch out for is that some of the V8 carbs had a hole in each throttle plate. They were designed such that the throttle plates close completely at curb idle, and the holes serve as the idle calibration. In some cases you won't be able to adjust the curb idle low enough with one of these carbs with holes in the throttle plates.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. If you read all the BBD material, you'll see Chrysler was very adamant about not swapping slant-6 and V8 BBDs. That's because doing so would cause the car equipped with the non-spec carb to flunk Federal emission certification tests, which would subject Chrysler to legal liabilities and stiff fines. I've had stock and kinda-stockish slant-6s run great with a 273/318 BBD, WW3, or 2280. As with any carburetor, you have to install and tune it correctly for best results.

If you're into fabrication and want to use something other than what Chrysler originally used, you can try your luck with a Holley 2300 or—probably better—a Motorcraft 2100; see here and here and here.

now were did i get the fancy chrome v/c took a whole to find the receipt, it was on ebay from KMJ performance for 21 cdn

Eeeeyeah...you may eventually decide to take it off and put on a real valve cover. See Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3. If you are bound and determined to run this cover on your engine, and if you can make the bolt holes line up well enough to minimize leaks, then set up the breather and PCV this way to avoid oil consumption and fouled spark plugs due to this cover's lack of baffles.

Dan you sure are a dead ringer for my high school auto shop teacher from Edmonton ...

That's a scary thought! :shock:

-
Back