My first engine build. I just hope it runs when I'm done!

-

T-Fish

Reaction score
Well, I'm unintentionally building an engine. I'm serious about this being unintentional, it's just kind of happening.

Here's what I have.

1977 .030 over 360 block. Zero deck.

Flat top pistons (with valve reliefs), balanced.

Crank is cast and has been internally balanced.

Rods are stock.

Ported W2 heads. Open chamber, approximately 60cc. 1.5 Crane roller rockers. Springs are good for .650 lift or so.

Compression ratio will be right around 12:1, hopefully a little bit higher.

Cam is a Lunati. Advertised duration (In/Ex): 288/296
Duration @ .050 (In/Ex): 255/263
Gross valve lift (In/Ex): .626/.626
LSA/ICL: 106/100
Valve lash (In/Ex): .026/.026

Carb is a Quick Fuel Q-series 850CFM Drag E85.

Fuel pump is a Quick Fuel 175 GPH piece. Regulator is one of their units as well.
Intake is a Holley Strip Dominator.

Headers are TTI 1 7/8 "race" headers.

Oil system consists of Milodon pieces with a Melling pump.

Balancer is a Pro Race Products piece.

Wish me luck. I have no goals or expectations, other than I hope it runs when it's all said and done. Obviously there are small things I haven't listed. Here we go!

That's a nice combination, I.M.H.O. Best of luck, & take your time.

That is going to be a nasty first engine build. As famous bob alluded to, race gas ain't cheap.

I just noticed that you said E85. Should be a real fun ride.

Jack

Best advice I can give you, after many years ago and a failed first engine build, make SURE everything is CLEAN. Blow out ALL oil passages, in the crank, in the block, CANT be too clean. Good Luck, Im sure all will be badass! MT

Sounds like that motor will have some oomph! Will you be using this both street/strip? Don!t know much about running E85, but know it is a lot cheaper than $8 per gallon and will support some fairly high compression.

Best of luck and ask a lot of questions on here if you have to. You will find out if you screwed anything up within the first few seconds.

$ 8.00 a gallon here

That's why I'm going the E85 route. And because it's "different".

That is going to be a nasty first engine build. As famous bob alluded to, race gas ain't cheap.

I just noticed that you said E85. Should be a real fun ride.

Jack

Thanks, I'm hoping it is fun!

Best advice I can give you, after many years ago and a failed first engine build, make SURE everything is CLEAN. Blow out ALL oil passages, in the crank, in the block, CANT be too clean. Good Luck, Im sure all will be badass! MT

Roger that!

Sounds like that motor will have some oomph! Will you be using this both street/strip? Don!t know much about running E85, but know it is a lot cheaper than $8 per gallon and will support some fairly high compression.

I don't know what to expect of it! It'll be used for cruise nights and getting groceries only. I work weekends, so I won't be able to get it to the strip unless I am able to snag a vacation day. I would like to make it once for sure if everything seems to be dialed and strong, just to see where it is.

Best of luck and ask a lot of questions on here if you have to. You will find out if you screwed anything up within the first few seconds.

Isn't that the truth! But hey, what could do wrong? lol

Here's some tips on how the front of the engine goes together under the timing chain cover...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=287231

I actually read that and a lot of other "how to article" threads on top of the page before I posted this.

I do have to admit that I'm just the one with the wallet. I have a friend walking me through this, thankfully. While it's my first rodeo, it isn't his and he won't let me screw anything up. I truly can't thank him enough, as he's answered dozens of phone calls that were littered with questions. His last W2 build cranked out over 625 ponies! I'll be happy if my combo shoves out 400.

Sadly, this won't be going into an A-body. My Duster will remain a slant six survivor. This will be put into a truck, of all things. Don't hate me!

Sounds like a nice combo..............be sure of your springs, max lift and then coil bind, make sure you clear your valve guides and seals, if you don't , it ruins your day in a hurry.

Good luck.

Sounds like a nice combo..............be sure of your springs, max lift and then coil bind, make sure you clear your valve guides and seals, if you don't , it ruins your day in a hurry.

Good luck.

These came off of an engine running a slightly larger cam than the one I have chosen, so I should be safe in those regards.

This will be put into a truck, of all things. Don't hate me!

Why hate you, I love sleepers... :D

We just saw a Chevy Blazer and a Camaro SS having some fun driving down the street a week ago. The license plate on the blazer was "SRT8 LOL" and he meant it.... He gave that Camaro a great run!

set initial time it to 18 BTDC, make sure the plug wires are set and light her off! Keep it a high idle if it has a new cam or lifters. other than that, just watch oil pressure on start, if it doesnt jump to about 60 in 2 seconds shut down and check her over. ONly thing htat will stop that motor from running is your lack of race gas money.

The closest race gas is a 25 minute drive from my house. E85 is only five minutes away. I am making the fuel choice based on availability, not what's in my wallet. If I was truly concerned about the cost of fuel, I'd sell all of my Mopars and have a Prius. Sorry if you got the impression that I'm trying to be cheap.

This is a photo of what it will be going into.

16996362704_9806cd79ac_z.jpg

I love it man. I'm starting to really fall for the 70s and 80s pick ups. I would love to throw a 500 hp small block in one.

Nice truck!

There was a guy around here back in the mid 80's who had a 78 Black stepside with a built 360 and nitrous that could run 13's or better in the quarter...

Sweet 78
I have one and my dad still has his that he bought new off the car hauler at the dealership.

Cam and lifters showed up today. I posted the specs for a Lunati cam that I was thinking of using, but chose to have Bullet grind one for me.

Everything is here but the headers, which will be here on Friday. Only took about 6 weeks!

We will be assembling it the week of the 15th and will hopefully have it on the dyno the following week. Kind of excited, and really nervous at the same time! I've seen some W2 builds and they can throw down some good numbers! I'm keeping any and all expectations as low as possible.

Everything is here but the headers, which will be here on Friday. Only took about 6 weeks!

We will be assembling it the week of the 15th and will hopefully have it on the dyno the following week. Kind of excited, and really nervous at the same time! I've seen some W2 builds and they can throw down some good numbers! I'm keeping any and all expectations as low as possible.

Yep the W2's can make some good power. That's what I'm running at the moment. I think you'll be plenty happy with the power yours will make.

-
Back