My first Mopar: 1965 Plymouth Barracuda

-

Hutch1965

Reaction score
Hi everyone, been lurking here for a long while. I am a few months late starting this thread but here goes. Like others here, I have been looking for a project for what seems like years now. After always saying no I don't have the time or money and passing on better cars I seen this on MP cheap. I was already going that way for a work trip so I had to at least look at it. Plus I wanted to get my son involved with something to help het his mind off of other things.

All original 2 owner car. The owner was not sure if it was the original 273 or not. All I did know it was not an "S" model. When I got there the car was parked in deep mud and under a lot of trees (yea rust). So I looked everywhere I knew to check for rust first. All I could really see was drivers floor was gone and some bad repairs made years ago with plenty of dough to hide other issues. I seen it had not been on the road since 1986 (State inspection decal on the windshield) however he claimed he drove it until about 10 years ago so there was no chance of trying to start it. The interior looked complete just full of junk. I figured what the hell and ask his bottom dollar and bam I know own a 65 barracuda.

This will not be one of the awesome builds I see on here daily. It will be getting it running and driving while doing body work here and there. If I could completely tear it down and restore it I would but that's not going to happen anytime soon with my family situation.

I will update this thread with all I found and have done so far in the last few months (the good, bad and ugly). BTW I love this site, it is my daily therapy. I'll start pics from the start. Oh and I might have burnt out my winch trying to get it out of the mud and up on the trailer.
20210106_144334.jpg
20210106_185212.jpg
20210109_163517.jpg
20210109_163519.jpg
20210109_163353.jpg

20210106_185212.jpg

What a GREAT first Mopar! Welcome aboard!

Nice! I started with one about the same shape. It can be done.
IMG_2553.jpg

complete cars are high on my list, heck you even got 2 decent headlight bezels! Whats the chance that woodgrain steering wheel is crack free under that rubber wrap? Get some seat back "toppers" made (like arm wrest covers) for the back seat (or just fold it down and forget about it!) some tilex onto the moldy seat skins...a few cans of primer...On your way to Early-A bliss!

Wow! Very Complete, Looks like what I started with!
A Year and a half in I've been havin' a blast!
My Lady calls it My Therapist.

left.jpg

Since I am stuck at the airport I have a minute to update the progress. Once I got it home I cleaned out all the junk. Some of which may be worth a few bucks. He had several instrument clusters and old radios laying in the floor. I'll post pictures later tonight if I can.

So first thing first can I make it run? So of course I pull all the plugs, spray a little penetrating oil in the clyinders. Check the oil and try and bar the engine over by hand. STUCK it is. Ok no problem I figured as much. I soaked the cylinders let it sit till the next day. Tried again to bar it over and still stuck. Again I filled the cylinders up with penetrating oil and let sit. The next day I began to move by hand. Now it was free I had to go through everything. Replaced all ignition. Starter would not engage so I bought a mini starter for a Dakota. Then had to troubleshoot the relay. Replaced the battery and terminals. Changed the oil. Carburetor was gummed up so bought a kit for the old Carter and rebuilt it.

Finally tried to fire her off after many years and after a few tries got it running. It sounds like a sewing machine. I was surprised at how well it sounded actually but there were some noises in the valve train but I knew that. I had pulled the valve covers before starting it the first time to see how bad it looked and oiled the top end with some trans fluid to help lube the lifters. I will say after taking the valve covers off I see it has not lived a maintained life. Pretty crusty. I'll post some more updates when I can since I am in the road working this week.

It should have solid valve followers (lifters) which will give it a sewing-machine like sound when compared to a hydraulic camshaft valve train (even when valves are adjusted properly).

Welcome Hutch! I'm just over the mountain in Western NC, so not too far away. If you live near Johnson City, let me know. Next time I get dragged kicking and screaming to my sister in laws house in JC....maybe I can escape to come see your Barracuda! I'm fixing one up myself. Mine's not a Formulas S either, but it is a 4 barrel Commando car.

Welcome Hutch! I'm just over the mountain in Western NC, so not too far away. If you live near Johnson City, let me know. Next time I get dragged kicking and screaming to my sister in laws house in JC....maybe I can escape to come see your Barracuda! I'm fixing one up myself. Mine's not a Formulas S either, but it is a 4 barrel Commando car.
Other side of Knoxville. Commando's are pretty cool.

Nice car, and a fun story to follow. Should you need parts I just picked up a 65 Barracuda that's too rusted out to save, but it has lots of good parts left on it.

Nice! Welocme, I hope you are "fairly young" I bought mine at 24, tore it all the way down at 36, and am now getting it back together at 52. I know its my fault but I've been bizzy...good thing is, now, my son is grown, married, an dthere seems to be money for whatever i need at any time so thats a plus. After years of buying and collecting parts its time for the final push. good luck with yours and dont go half azzed on anything youll just do it again later... i dont think you can go wrong with Mopar...still easy to make good power with mostly any of their engines of the pre smog era.

Nice car, and a fun story to follow. Should you need parts I just picked up a 65 Barracuda that's too rusted out to save, but it has lots of good parts left on it.
Oh I will definitely need some parts. Thanks and I will hit you up when I start getting a list together.

Well after running the numbers it seems someone has replaced the original 273 with a 69 318. OK well I guess I won't feel bad since I wanted a mild 360 anyway. My plan now is to get the car moving around and stopping good so I can pull it out and work on the body in the drive way since there's more room outside then inside. So brakes are next since they are stuck on a couple of wheels and the pedal just lays on the floor.

-
Back