My first slant build

-

dave66dart

Reaction score
Well i have pulled and disassembled the engine, before i go on let's discuss what i have planned, a holly 350cfm 2bbl on a cast 2 bbl intake with oversize valves, electronic ignition, a comp cams 264s with 440 lift and 264 duration camshaft.I am set on running a 10.0:1cr. please let me stress i am new to /six's so please bare with me, here's what i know so far. My chamber volume is 58/59cc across the board bore is 3.40" on all with all 6 cylinder's being round, my gasket bore is 3.50" as well as .035". deck height seem's to be .180" I am told the engine has never been rebuilt bearing's seel's and gasket's. With that in mind are these measurement's right, if how much can remove before i need to shorten pushrods and can acheive my goal without needing to do so. And yes i have read other thread's and been to slant six.org and the morei read the more confusing it seem's to get

Your looking good so far. I would order an Erson 280/270 instead of the Comp 264s MUCH better cam. Tell them slant six.org sent you and you want in on the group buy. This will get you a GREAT price. Buy lifters and springs and locks etc form them at the same time and get it ALL at the group price.
Are you using the Engine Builder valves 1.70/1.44 or the Ford 300 1.78/1.50 valves?
As a general rule you can cut about .140 off a combination of the head and deck before you need pushrods. I have cut .150 off several and its been about 50/50 as to needing push rods.
More questions just shoot,
Frank

Thank You 66aCUDA. So in theory I should be able to shave the head .110"/.120" without the need to shorten pushrod's or notch piston's, that's a huge amount a tenth of an inch wow.my mistake these are the engine builder valves 1.70"/1.44" anything special I need to know about them? the cam was given to me never used, and I am using some 340 valve spring's.

theres alot to building a slant
1st buy a book- mopar performance sells a book all about building mopar sixes lots of good info and can be bought from your local dodge dealer ship
2nd- head work a port and polish will do wonders for a slant becouse there are aaaallllooootttt of casting imperfections that can be smoothed out. next is valves i got big block mopar valves and ford 300s and i ended up at 1.77 intake and 1.44 exhaust.
3rd- balance the engine it makes it run smoother and makes more power
4th-10.1 compression is gonna be to much compression for the cam the comp 264 is a towing cam and works better with about 9.1 compression ide go with the erson 270 or the 270/280 for 10.1
5th-your machinest will hate you mine did the guy that did my work was ust to small blocks and only shaving about .030 off the head he will get nervouse when you say how much you want off.
6th- shave .030 off the block and .090 off the head this will square up the block and provide a well suited compression ratio
7th- my engine kit for my 225 was about 600 bucks but it came with everyting inside the engine the cam which was an erson 270 was like 40 bucks so ide check with the machine shop and see what you could get.
8th- degree your cam couse therse always that cance you will get a tooth off its just a good way to double check yourself
well hope that helps some
feel free to pm me through your build if ya got eny questions

Josh
I dont want to pick a fight or anything but some of your info is not quite correct. Just recheck what you have said.
Dont waste you money on the book it has little info on a slant and most of it is wrong. The book was written for Mopar Performance and is only there to sell MP parts. Consider it propaganda for the most part.
The Engine Builder valves are fine for 95% of the slant out there and their drop ins.
Slants are fairly well balanced but it never hurts to balance an engine.
340 springs are fine.
Your cam will work as its already paid for. Just remember its a real mild cam and 9/9.5 to 1 is plenty for it.
Josh is correct about taking .100 off the head a Machinist will really NOT want to do it. Then tell them you want .105 overbore and watch them go bug eyed. Most will make you sigh a waiver the first time. Mine is well trained and asks me "how much more this time" when I come in.:happy10:
Frank

Well i think that ultimately a daily driver that can go to the track on weekend's, and surprise the friend's chev and ford guy's, telling me go with a v8 swap. Oh and a build that will not break the bank

well i hate to tell ya this but you are gonna spent money. i was thinkin my slant was gonna come in at about 1 grand... nope 1500 dollers later shes running
ide say the 264 cam, 2bbl with a ram air set up, and find a set of headers off of summit racing or split manifolds would be the best. then run it into a y pipe and a turbo muffler with 2 1/4 pipein, then however much you want off the head, the big valves with a 3 angle valve grind and it would be a strong motor probly be pushin 200-220 horse mabe a lil less but it would be strong. what kinda car is it in? im guessing a 66 cuda? those aint a very heavy cars compaired to like a duster are they?

Well if i can pull 200 to 220 or there about i will be very happy as that is all i really want from this one, it is for my 1965 canadian built valiant. And yeah i am sitting at exactly $1015 already plus a quoted $200 to mill the head
Once Again THANK YOU for the information / knowledge it is truly apreciated.
I also have another 225/6 i would like to go all out wirh when done with this one. Dave

Man I love reading this /6 stuff !!! Got a Dart heading to my garage next weekend !!I've done 2 '69's already,and look forward to playing with this one too !!:cheers:

Man I love reading this /6 stuff !!! Got a Dart heading to my garage next weekend !!I've done 2 '69's already,and look forward to playing with this one too !!:cheers:

Were you down at the MOB show? I had my 66 Cuda there, with the nitrous fogger system, and push button shifter in a console.

Were you down at the MOB show? I had my 66 Cuda there, with the nitrous fogger system, and push button shifter in a console.

Hey there Charlie,yeah,I was there this year,but only for a short time !!However,a year or two ago I had spoken to you about your 'Cuda !!!Hope you don't mind when I start bending your ear once I get my next one !!Never hurts to lurn from experience !!!By the way,don't know if you saw my truck,it's the Yellow SRT10 with the Old School Strobe style stripe !!Was the only one there !!

-
Back