My friend tracked down his old race car!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
The man responsible for educating me on everything drag racing managed to undue a huge regret. Back in the mid 80s he bought a 72 nova off a old man and turned it into a race car. It was only his second race car and he won a lot of races in it. Had to sell it in 1990 due to having kids. He started building a stick shift vega a few years ago after he got the itch to go racing again. He put a ton of work into this vega but always talked about how he wanted his nova back. He started making some calls and it turns out that after trading hands a few times it ended up back in the hands of the family he bought it off. Now this weekend he is hoping to pick it back up and have it on the track this summer. I can tell he is excited to get back in the car he had to sell 25 years ago.

It's always great to get one back. There are many I'd like to have back, but where I'm at now, they'd have to be give-a-ways...:)

WOW! That's crazy! And awesome!

cool hope he gets it. My 67 chevelle sits in a weed covered lot and guy wont part with it or do anything with it

I'll never understand why some people let em rot, is it because they enjoy tortouring those of us who want to bring em back to life?

Jeff

This one has been sitting for a few years now. Broken yoke on the rear end. Funny how something so small will stop people from wanting to race.

Yes it is a Chevy but it's still a cool story I thought.

I sold my first car, a 1970 roadrunner with a 383 pistol grip 4 speed for $1500 in 1975,wish i could get her back,after retiring i went back to my roots, i bought a 1968 cuda with a 340.I also race a 355 1971 nova,10.60 @ 124. Easy to find parts for a chevy.:coffee2:

Our winter has been brutal up here so he hasn't been able to pick it up yet. I'm going to swing by the shop today and see if it's sitting in there. If it is I'll post some pictures.

E75AA06B-D2BA-4847-9712-64ADF243FFA8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AFEC3355-3A93-49BB-AF6B-3F7258269B0B.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those are his other toys. The vega is a getting a lenco and a small block stroker. The dragster is being sold as soon as the nova arrives.

Cool!!
Looks like its coming back to a good home and future!
Glad he's getting back his car.

E16F9542-148D-4E6E-8C0B-667742A9D60C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He went and picked it up today. Its getting a bit of body work done and the cam and heads off the dragster.

Nice looking car, but I have to question the year, those side markers are 1968 style, I can also say that car had a L6 in it originally as the V8 models had an extended front marker bezel with the engine size displayed. My first car was a 68 Nova with an L6 with front and rear markers just like those. If I could see the tail lights I can confirm it.

The fact still remains, once it's done and ready to roll, your friend is gonna have some fuuuuuunnn! :)

E16F9542-148D-4E6E-8C0B-667742A9D60C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

He went and picked it up today. Its getting a bit of body work done and the cam and heads off the dragster.

That's nice. Love the o.e.m. look on the fender lip work, after the tub job. A lost art, in my opinion.

The car is getting a bit of body work done and repainted also. He is one of the best body guys I know. He has a 71 nova street car that is about the same color and it is impeccable. This weekend I'll get some good detailed shots of all the cars.

They are all Chevys but the quality of the work is unreal and he has taught me nearly everything I know about cars that I didn't learn on here. I rebuilt my motor at his shop and he walked me through the process. One of the old timers that is more then happy to pass down his knowledge and skills.

DD3C7AFB-1D79-4393-B92D-A8765220EDE9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's one of my buddies modeling my motor. There is usually a few "young guns" hanging around his garage on the weekends, so the hobby is staying alive up in cincinnati!

That's great!

I race with a guy who mentored myself as well. He's 28 years older than I am, and has raced since 1968. He has taught me things that would have taken me many years to learn, or stumble onto. Really got me competitive at bracket racing very early on.

I hate to even think about the day that will come when I have to go to the race track without him.

I'm sure you feel the same way about your friend. Guys like that are true friends. They didn't have to let you hang around and worry them to death about things, but they did and had as much fun teaching you as you did learning.

Not a MOPAR but would like to find this car again if it's still around.Traded it for a Ford Falcon Pro Street style Panel Wagon to a guy in Pueblo,Colorado in 1999 or so.

Attachments

• Our old race car.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 190
4CAF4B0C-5DB1-4A1A-9B83-D1FF39964F87.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

9E31D0D0-157F-4CF0-9C18-B129CA91800C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

9E31D0D0-157F-4CF0-9C18-B129CA91800C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I stopped by my friends shop tonight. Had the vega interior about finished.

-
Back