My gas tank cleaner idea

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
So i have been thinking of ways to clean my gas tank I think I come up with a pretty good plan last night. I'm gonna make like a vibrating tumbler stand. Here's the plan I'm gonna make a base out of 2x4s and take a piece of flat steel weld it to some valve springs to the flat iron and bolt it to the base. Then make the top the same way but screw a sheet of plywood to it. Then take two fan motors and a stack of washers and drill an offset hole into the washers and weld them together and weld them to the shaft of the motors. Mount the motors to the top and ratchet strap the gas tank to the top and fill it with cleaner and some bbs. Turn it on and wait. Lol what do yall think.

20200426_090808.jpg

or you could put some landscape rocks in it and tie it to the tractor wheel and drive down the lane a couple of time. thats the way they do it in kane,illinois.

or you could put some landscape rocks in it and tie it to the tractor wheel and drive down the lane a couple of time. thats the way they do it in kane,illinois.
I dont have a tractor. But that's an idea lol

I just thought of an idea to update the rhe shaker I could weld two springs together end to end to give it more spring
If this works it may be a multi use tool I could take some sand blast media put it in a large tote to clean valve covers and timing covers stuff like that.

Valve springs are probably too stiff, check your local hardware store out for some thinner wire springs.

Valve springs are probably too stiff, check your local hardware store out for some thinner wire springs.
I was thinking that too that's why I thought 2 may be better. I'm a little concerned that the fan motors wont be strong enough to get a good vibration going but there is only one way to find out

You could make the fan itself out of balance.
A wrap or two of duck tape around one blade should throw it off enough.

True story, a co-worker was over in the gulf-war, he was a crew chief on CH53 helicopters.
One pilot came in with the tail rotor shot up.
There were no replacement parts available for a bullet hole in the tail rotor.
He wrapped it with duck tape and fired the engine up, it vibrated bad.
He shut the engine off and put the same amount of duck tape on the opposite rotor.
Fired the engine up, he said it was smooth and that helicopter flew everyday for two more weeks until the spare parts arrived.

You could make the fan itself out of balance.
A wrap or two of duck tape around one blade should throw it off enough.

True story, a co-worker was over in the gulf-war, he was a crew chief on CH53 helicopters.
One pilot came in with the tail rotor shot up.
There were no replacement parts available for a bullet hole in the tail rotor.
He wrapped it with duck tape and fired the engine up, it vibrated bad.
He shut the engine off and put the same amount of duck tape on the opposite rotor.
Fired the engine up, he said it was smooth and that helicopter flew everyday for two more weeks until the spare parts arrived.
Iv have done the same thing on model rc helicopters! Lol

I think with some counter weight washers it should shake pretty good it's just a matter if the motor will last lol

Like just a logging chain?
Yep....even a 5/16" will work.

Usually I just power wash the tank inside's... if it's rusty use the chain trick. I've even cleaned a tank and poured a can of POR-15 in it, shook it around to spread out the material and let it dry.

Yep....even a 5/16" will work.

Usually I just power wash the tank inside's... if it's rusty use the chain trick. I've even cleaned a tank and poured a can of POR-15 in it, shook it around to spread out the material and let it dry.
That's a pretty cool trick to know.

I always heard about dumping a can of your extra nutz and bolts in with diesel or whatever your favorite cleaner is. Chain should work too. An electric motor with an eccentric on the shaft connected to the spring table would be the catz derrier.

I used nuts and bolts in an atv gas tank,strapped it to tractor wheel, jacked it up and let it idle in low gear for 1/2 hour.

Definitely double the springs.but a larger single motor would be better. There is a chance the motors could cancel each other out. Two axis might work with 2 motors.

Definitely double the springs.but a larger single motor would be better. There is a chance the motors could cancel each other out. Two axis might work with 2 motors.
Yea I thought about that last night and changed the plans to a single motor! I'm gonna start with a couple washers at a time and add as needed I dont want to make it so heavy that it has trouble turning it. Sometimes less is more !

I always heard about dumping a can of your extra nutz and bolts in with diesel or whatever your favorite cleaner is. Chain should work too. An electric motor with an eccentric on the shaft connected to the spring table would be the catz derrier.
I'm gonna try it and see how it works. If it works good I may try to use it for other stuff.like get a tote and fill it with some sand blast media and use it to clean valve covers and timing covers, descale nuts and bolts etc. If it works big if! Lol I'm sure it will take me a couple trails to get it dialed in. I'd like to find a more powerful motor besides a fan. I'd like to find a washer or grinder motor.

I'm gonna try it and see how it works. If it works good I may try to use it for other stuff.like get a tote and fill it with some sand blast media and use it to clean valve covers and timing covers, descale nuts and bolts etc. If it works big if! Lol I'm sure it will take me a couple trails to get it dialed in. I'd like to find a more powerful motor besides a fan. I'd like to find a washer or grinder motor.
Bench grinder motor, will put up with a lot. With a shitty wire wheel it tends to empty my workbench.

If you were closer I've got a couple I'd give you. If you want to try the eccentric trick, let me know and I'll make you one for the price of shipping. Maybe use an old connecting rod to hook it up.

I got the springs welded together. Tomorrow I will try to get started on the base and see how it goes

20200427_212206.jpg

-
Back