my heart dropped to my knees.....

-

Mrkidd

Reaction score
:-({|=ok i was on the way home when I heard a loud pop!!!!!
and the car pitched hard to the left on to freeway traffic....
pulled over and front wheel looks like it leaning really hard(to much camber)....the bearing exploded:banghead: i just put new wheel bearing in a few day ealier....after i got the car towed home take the drum off all the spindle lock nut groves were rolled back and the outer bearing was destroyed....the cotter pin was still in but it looked like the nut went over it....so my QUESTION IS :
1.How much do i need to torque the nut down .?
2.does anybody have a part number for the inner and outter bearing for a 9inch front brake drum.?

and where can i find a new spindle nut lock (what ever you call it)....?
Ive been having problems with this side since Big-O- tire snapped my studs....ive had to replace the studs twice now

Take a really close look @ the spindle and the drum area where the outer race rides. There's got to be a problem w/ one of those, not just a bearing.

^^^^^^
so what should I look for groves in the race ?
race to deep?
i really have'nt delt with many drum brake setups...
should the inner wheel seal stay in the hub if removed? because when i remove it the bearing and the seal stay on the back of the brake back plate..and not in the hub...

Make sure the race fits tight in the hub (doesn't spin or feel loose). It's okay for the bearing & seal to stay on the spindle when the drum is removed. If the race is loose, the hub may have been damaged.

Pics?

Definitely put up some pics. I'm suspicious that I might have a bearing going bad on my own 9" front drum, and I'd like to see what's going on inside the brake and find out how your own troubleshooting goes.

ill get some pics..in mornin night out right now.....the race is really tight i even tried to hit it out to replace it with the new one....but the old ones are stuck in pretty good....so i didnt feel any grooves or ruffness so i left the old ones in and put new bearings....

Make sure you have the flat slotted washer that sits between the outer bearing and retaining nut. Very important too.

....the race is really tight i even tried to hit it out to replace it with the new one....but the old ones are stuck in pretty good....so i didnt feel any grooves or ruffness so i left the old ones in and put new bearings....[/QUOTE]
umm if you are replacing a bearing ALWAYS replace the race along with it. Races can be driven out with a long punch and hammer. I would replace the outer bearing and race as well as the washer, spindle nut, and cotter pin. I am curious as to why you had to replace studs twice?

They make a tool for removing the races, but they can get pricey. I've always used a screwdriver on the backside and a hammer. The spindle nut you're talking about is called a castle or crown nut.

The nut just gets snugged up and you spin the wheel and check for the slightest resistance. Was wheel bearing packed properly. I always tighten the nut just till it tightens a little and back it off till the wheel spins free. If you tightened the nut to any torque value this is what destroyed the bearing.DD

....the race is really tight i even tried to hit it out to replace it with the new one....but the old ones are stuck in pretty good....so i didnt feel any grooves or ruffness so i left the old ones in and put new bearings....
umm if you are replacing a bearing ALWAYS replace the race along with it. Races can be driven out with a long punch and hammer. I would replace the outer bearing and race as well as the washer, spindle nut, and cotter pin. I am curious as to why you had to replace studs twice?[/QUOTE]

ive tried the punch and hammer out the race but it seems like its chipping the race so im gonna take it to a shop and get it pressed out.....
and the first time i replaced the stud the weights on my wheels came off and i couldnt locate the problem in time and it wobbled the stud off....Step 1#...look for weights on wheels.....lol...i had just gotten the rims and tires so i figured it wasnt them.....
well off to the press shop....ill see what happens...i really hate drum brakes now.....

-
Back