my new 360...

-

moparmanik

a body junkie
Reaction score
just picked up a 83 360 2 barrel out of an early 70's motorhome in perfect running order.i think it's a rebuilt because the block is an 83.i want to swap out the intake with a 69 340 intake that i have laying around.a few questions:1 it has 2 different heads,1 j head and the other has no visible marking on the outside(squares where marking should be) are they compatible?.2 my 340 intake has a much smaller bypass hose than the original intake,whats the best way to fix? don't plan to open up the motor anymore than the intake.3 will this motor work ok in my 69 valiant with the 4 barell intake? just kinda curious at this point,running on a tight budjet and am happy to have a running 360. any input would b appreciated thanks.

1 it has 2 different heads,1 j head and the other has no visible marking on the outside(squares where marking should be) are they compatible?.

Sure, why not? The different head could be anything except an early 273 since it's all bolted on and working. The head could be a 318 head for all we know. While this is a big mismatch, it'll work.
When you pull the intake off, take a small mirror and look under the center of the head where the numbers are. Then you'll be able to look them up and know what they are. However, they also could have been up graded 360 heads w/2.02s. Head gaskets (Pair) are about $40. Give or take.

2 my 340 intake has a much smaller bypass hose than the original intake,whats the best way to fix? don't plan to open up the motor anymore than the intake.

The earlier by pass hoses were a smaller diameter. It is possible to ethier clamp the larger one tightly or good luck in removing the old one in favor to install a larger one. They tend to rust in place.

3 will this motor work ok in my 69 valiant with the 4 barell intake? just kinda curious at this point,running on a tight budjet and am happy to have a running 360. any input would b appreciated thanks.

Sure, why not? How easy it will bolt up and go is another issue, in which all that info is missing. Lets try this....

What drive train did the car come with?

my car came with a 273/904/7 1/4 combo,not sure of gear ratio.my concern is more of a performance point of view (better top end or low end) and are the thread bore from one intake to the other different ? is it just the fitting that's different?

..............The drivers side motor bracket is different, but u can shim it with washers.......u will in all probability need a 360 car oil pan and pick up.....unless it already has a center sump pan............kim......

..............The drivers side motor bracket is different, but u can shim it with washers.......u will in all probability need a 360 car oil pan and pick up.....unless it already has a center sump pan............kim......
already have that... of of a 318 though... should work imo,why deos the motor mount need to be shimmed??

You need a 360 pan, the 318 pan is different. The mount needs to be shimmed because the spacing between the lugs on the block is different. If you are switching the 273 parts onto a Magnum engine and plan to use your mechanical fuel pump you'll need a fuel pump extension for the camshaft in your Magnum engine. I know Hughes sells them, maybe Mancini & others have them too, not sure.

You need a 360 pan, the 318 pan is different. The mount needs to be shimmed because the spacing between the lugs on the block is different. If you are switching the 273 parts onto a Magnum engine and plan to use your mechanical fuel pump you'll need a fuel pump extension for the camshaft in your Magnum engine. I know Hughes sells them, maybe Mancini & others have them too, not sure.
when i got the car,it had no motor and i didn't have any mounts. i just picked up some motor mounts from a 68 318 car,it already has a v8 k member, i should be able to make it work. didn't know bout the
shimming required though... the motor is an early 360 soo i,m good there.

The shim space is easiest to take up with a spare bolt, washers will work as well.

The first 2 years of the 273 (IIRC) have an intake bolt that is smaller @ 5/16 instead of the bigger 3/8 size. Also, when you bolt the intake onto the head, the angle of the bolt is at a different angle.

The smaller 7-1/4 rear should be replaced with a 8-1/4 or 8-3/4 size rear for longevity. If you have the driveshaft that came with the car, it will need to be shortened to work with a 727 trans and/or a different sized rear end.

Also like they said, the 360 oil pan is different from the other oil pans from the rest of the small block family. A truck pan will not work, it must be a car pan.

-
Back