My new /6

-

MudFlap

Reaction score
Well, it ain't brand new..... I just bought a 72 Dart. Clock reads 65,500 miles. I almost think they could be original miles. Every Mopar I've had had some botched hacked wiring, but not this old beast. Anywho, coupla questions for y'all.

On cold startup, she rattles like hell till the oil pressure light goes out. Doesn't sound like lifters or overhead clatter, it sounds and feels like it's bottom end. Typically goes away within 5 seconds of firing up. Opinions?

Secondly, she feels like she has a surge. Almost like a fuel delivery surge, but not as pronounced. And never during acceleration or deceleration - only during straight and level flight. No matter what speed. I'm kinda thinkin maybe point ignition? I've changed out the fuel filter. Dumped a bucket of mud outta the old one, but it didn't make any difference.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. '72 was the last year for points ignition. See HEI upgrade .

Rattle on cold start: Use a good quality filter -- not a Fram. Try a NAPA Gold 1806, which has an inbuilt standpipe to keep oil in the base-down filter after shutdown for quick relube on cold startup. It will also be a good idea to service the oil pressure relief valve to make sure it's doing its job (if it's stuck partway open it'll take a lot longer to build oil pressure from cold), as described in these two threads: thread 1, thread 2.

-
Back