My new deck!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
Well guys and gals this is why I haven't been around as much lately. I tore the old deck off and built a new one. I haven't planted my bushes yet but this will kind of show what it is going to look like. I don't ever use the deck because I'm a bachelor but maybe I'll use this one more often. The old one was in bad shape and I really didn't like it. I decided to go with composite decking boards on the floor. I have some outdoor furniture with table and large umbrella that I will eventually put out there. I did all the work myself so what do you thank?

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02254.jpg

DSC02257.jpg

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02265.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02270.jpg

Nice work, craftsman!

Looks like a great place to crack a cold one, and grill a steak!

What are the bars made from? Sombody built a fence down the block using rebar and it look similar. Great job by the way.

That's a nice deck! Good Job! I wish the composite would have been out when I built my deck.

Looks real nice. What are you planting? Looks like some more Lorapetalum and some Ligustrums?

Great job!

I'm sure you did half of it with your eyes closed being a carpenter by trade.

I was wondering myself what the railings were made of as well.

How do they attach top and bottom?

You will enjoy many great days and nights out there mullin :cheers:
I hope my wife don't see it=P~, That is a good looking Deck you built :cheers:

Thanks everyone!

That's a nice deck! Good Job! I wish the composite would have been out when I built my deck.

Composite lumber is nice but the prices are high. Its made of recycled plastics like water bottles, milk jugs, and it does have some wood mixed in it from my understanding.

This the first time I've used it. I put on the flooring and as I was going along I would measure from one side of the deck to the composite board edge and go to the other side and do the same. I do this to make sure I'm running the boards parallel with the deck sub floor. I was only a 1/8" out of square when I got to the end and did not have to make any adjustments as I went. That is unheard of with standard treated lumber. It can be done however with smaller decks. I had to space each board 3/16" in order for water drainage. You don't have to do that with standard lumber because it will shrink in time...the composite won't shrink.

Looks real nice. What are you planting? Looks like some more Lorapetalum and some Ligustrums?

I have no idea actually... my mother picked those out for me. She said they grow about 3' tall. My mom is has a greener thumb than I do. The tags are still on the plants so I will be sure to find that out. Sounds like you know your plants!

Looks great.......

Just framed mine last weekend.

Cool... take some pictures when you get it finished or as you go along. I like doing things like this other than working on mopars.

Great job!

I'm sure you did half of it with your eyes closed being a carpenter by trade.

I was wondering myself what the railings were made of as well.

How do they attach top and bottom?

Some of it was just regular deck building but when I got to putting the balusters in on the stair rails I had to open my eyes and put my thinking cap on. I had to drill the rails connector holes at a angle in order for the balusters to be plumb.... once I got one done the other was easier. I've never done that before so that was new.

The railing are made of standard 2"x4" treated lumber. I sanded every piece with 100gt sand paper to remove rough edges and lettering. Washed each piece in wood prep (acid type stuff) to remove contaminates and to open up the pores of the wood. Then I stained each piece with a mixed colored outdoor deck stain.

I could have used composite lumber on the rails also but first off it's expensive and second I really didn't like the way it looks. It does not have that rustic wood look as the standard lumber does but it will last longer however. But I like the knots showing and so forth because it gives it more character.

I used exterior screws to hold everything together... no nails and no screws showing on the outside of the deck.

Nice job, will you build one for me next? LOL

Sure ... where you located?

What you see (12'x14' deck) counting the rock under the deck was right at $1800 but then you'd have to pay for my labor of course. LOL!

You will enjoy many great days and nights out there mullin :cheers:
I hope my wife don't see it=P~, That is a good looking Deck you built :cheers:

Thanks Mike!

I need to get a lab top so I can browse the internet out there where the birds are singing and the breeze is blowing. It's nice and cool right now out there.

Originally Posted by Demon416
Nice job, will you build one for me next? LOL

mullinax95:
Sure ... where you located?

What you see (12'x14' deck) counting the rock under the deck was right at $1800 but then you'd have to pay for my labor of course. LOL!
Ha! I'd have to buy you an airline ticket also. I'm in Wisconsin. LOL

wut no deck jokes yet.. just always keep ur deck clean... women dont like a dirty deck... ya i know great looking deck on the serouis note though

Man that is nice work. You sd it's your first time. Never guess by the pics. NICE job. What do you do for a living, if you don't mind my asking? THAT is what I do for a living...when I can find it anymore.

Man that is nice work. You sd it's your first time. Never guess by the pics. NICE job. What do you do for a living, if you don't mind my asking? THAT is what I do for a living...when I can find it anymore.

I'm a carpenter by trade. What I was talking about that was my first time was installing the Deckorator type balusters going down a stair rail. It's a little different procedure than the horizontal rails.

I'm a carpenter by trade. What I was talking about that was my first time was installing the Deckorator type balusters going down a stair rail. It's a little different procedure than the horizontal rails.
Now I'm on the same page with ya. I do trim and wood floors mainly, furniture occassionally. How's business in your neck of the woods? NOTHING happening down here. Talked to local building inspector last week. Told me only 2 currently open residential builiding permits in all of Colleton County, and both of them are modulars.

-
Back