my new engine build

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
Have not posted here in a while been slowly getting my motor back together. I'm bored so I decided to post something. Anyways the slant in my 65 valiant took a ****, the timing chain skipped. So I decided it was time to do everything in it. Tore it apart few rings were broken some bearings were pitted like crazy. Took block and head to machine shop, they cleaned and honed the block, it was already .060 over. Head was milled to clean up, and I had them install hard seats in the exhaust, and a valve job, just a 45 nothing fancy. I got some sealed power pistons, rings, rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings. Crank is 10/10. Cloyes true double roller hand matched timing set, from the slantsix.org group buy. I chose a camshaft from Oregon grinding #125 its a reverse dual pattern cam .415 intake .399 exhaust lift, [email protected] intake [email protected] exhaust. I have cam Clocked about 3 degrees advanced. I'm going to keep the single barrel setup. My exhaust manifold was cracked so I'm thinking of using the back half and getting the dutra front half. I got the full felpro gasket set. New melling oil pump since the old one had terrible pressure, it took a good 8 seconds to get the light shut off at start up. I was told its a good idea to switch the gears between the two. Rods are also rebuilt, pistons all balanced with in a gram. This motor is just a real stocker nothing crazy just to cruise around, if I want speed and fun that's what my vw is for. :)

sounds like a good simple rebuild. Let us know how it turns out when its done. Any particular reason for the reverse cam? I was going to go that way but the earson rep told me it was for mainly strip/racing.

Someone over at slantsix.org said the exhaust flows realitivly well compared to intake which needs a little more help.

Very knowledgable over there. I was told the same for my cam choice and when I called earson and told them the build and purpose they recommended my cam so I went with their experience. Still want to hear how things go for you.

-
Back