My new Slant starts but wont stay running!

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
I need a check list
Here is where I am at

I just purchased the Duster with a 225 auto starts right up but wont stay running, the choke is in wide open position. I have tried it closed but its not cold here?

It is getting gas and when it fires no sputter it runs smooth for about 30 seconds then dies and it will then start right up again each time..
Help its my new daily driver.
Any ideas????

it sounds like it my be fuel related try a new filter and also check for vacume leak cracked hoses and such i wish you luck

I wasnt sure what forum to use
I bypassed the filter same issue..it gets lots of gas

check your ballist resistor. does it die when you release the key? if you hang onto the key in the cranking position does it stay running until you let go of the key? if so its in the ignition system

I would like to have a list to work from tomorrow when all you guys are at work.
thank you for the reply's!!!
FABO is the best.

If you give it gas will it stay running ? If so carb or vacume hose what kind of ingntion system ?

It is 73 factory electronic and if I give it gas it revs a second then dies

Thank you VERY much for all the replies..sounds like its prob the ballast resistor and I will replace it with a spare I have.
you guys rock!

Check float level or stuck float. Itll fill up and then choke itself. does it run then slowly start to sputter and then die? try this: after 20 seconds, pinch the fuel hose off and see if it runs any longer- if it starts to die, let some fuel pass. That may narrow it down to a fuel issue. running fine then dying doesnt sound like an ignition problem unless the coil is getting smoking hot in 30 seconds...<<<<<<Oh, its an electronic? Bypass ballast resistor completely. It wont hurt anything for a few minutes. EZ diagnosis.>>>>>>>>

I'm on it!
thank you Pishta I was hoping to hear from you, Ive read your other replies and know you are in the know and with others saying the same thing I am pretty sure its going to be the Ballast
thank you all again

It's not the ballast resistor. If it were, the car wouldn't stay running for any seconds after the key is released. Sounds like a faulty carburetor and/or choke. The choke must close completely before a cold-engine start, no matter what the ambient temperature might be, or the engine will either not start or not remain running. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

-
Back