my own personal hell

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
Long story short. I started my build over 12 years ago. My car was a factory under coating car. when i tore it down i stripped the entire under carriage with a putty knife and wire wheels. I left the entire under side bare steel so that i could finish all my fab work. Well fast forward to now and I got the car running and driving. put over 1500 miles on it and have destroyed two sets of 12.5 wide drag radials. I have the car tore back down to a bare body underneath and am in the process of scraping, scrubbing and cleaning in order to prep for paint. I am doing sections at a time in order to achieve some sort of forward progress on a daily basis to keep moral up. It is a torturous, dirty, shoulder killing process. First off, I now REGRET EVERY SINGLE BURN OUT I EVER DID. :burnout: The rubber that coated the inside wheel wells and floor pan is the toughest stuff to get off of meta. that i have ever seen. It just smears as soon as you do anything to it. I ended up just using a hand held wire brush to knock as much off as possible. then i go back with wax/greese remover several times over with a scotch brite pad. then I have to repeat with towels to get everything clean. Took me the entire weekend to just get the two inner rear fenders done and the passenger side quater extension done. Wish me luck guys. this is going to be a loooonnnngggg week.

never regret burnouts... regret never doing the final prep and paint work before doing the burnouts! LOL ...

Could just leave it - would make great undercoating and sound deadener!!! LOL!

LOL, I know i should have done if a long time ago. At least now I will have it done and never have to think about it again. I know im crying like a bit wet eyed pussy. LOL Its just one of those jobs you know needs done and are dreading it. Will keep you guys posted on progress.

[ame]https://youtu.be/DKWDPngenqE[/ame]

I had the best luck removing rubber and undercoating with a propane torch and a scraper. Works real good.

Soda blasting would work for you.

ya but it would make a hell of a mess. that and i dont have a soda blaster. im gonna stick with the plan and just keep scraping and cleaning. the good news is that once i get past the wheel wells the rest of the car is pretty clean still.

Soda blasting is about the messiest thing I have ever seen. If you want soda dust in the crack of your butt and all over your balls, go for it. How the heck it gets there is anybody's guess, but it sure does.

Soda blasting is about the messiest thing I have ever seen. If you want soda dust in the crack of your butt and all over your balls, go for it. How the heck it gets there is anybody's guess, but it sure does.

Does it tickle??? :D

But it will take care of any heartburn you might have down there...

I have taken burn out rubber off with kerosene - works pretty good. Put some kerosene in a spray bottle; spray and let it soak a few seconds and wipe off. Repeat a couple of times and you will be surprised how much comes off without a lot of effort.

I used steam cleaner which gets really hot. It didn't harm the factory zinc coating. It was messy but worked well

I feel your pain but am laughing while typing this. Agreed with other post, NEVER regret a single burnout!!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Using an oil based paint called zero rust. Underside is getting two coats. I edge it all with a brush and then roll it out with a 4" roller.

Is there something that can be sprayed underneath "before" you do a burnout to prevent the hot rubber from sticking? Just a thought?

-
Back