My power steering went out at under 2,000 rpm but then 20 mins later it was fine

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Was on the freeway going 4,000 rpm's or more for 10 good miles. Was sunny and warm today, like 75 degrees. When I slowed down I had no power steering at under 2,000 rpm. Once I got where I was going I let it set for 20 mins. Still was out but then a few mins later all was good. Level is up there and pump is just a few months old. Steering box is a 5 year old rebuilt unit.

What happen, what should I do? Would a cooler take care of it or is the fluid just cheap? First time this has even happen to me. If I get a cooler where should it go, on the return line I guess.

Was on the freeway going 4,000 rpm's or more for 10 good miles. Was sunny and warm today, like 75 degrees. When I slowed down I had no power steering at under 2,000 rpm. Once I got where I was going I let it set for 20 mins. Still was out but then a few mins later all was good. Level is up there and pump is just a few months old. Steering box is a 5 year old rebuilt unit.

What happen, what should I do? Would a cooler take care of it or is the fluid just cheap? First time this has even happen to me. If I get a cooler where should it go, on the return line I guess.

you wouldnt think that it would be getting too hot at that temp.. but coolers never hurt and typicaly just goes inbetween the pump and box on the return side. but as for your issue could have probably been an air pocket that got traped when your rpms decreased..wouldnt worry about it too mjuch

-
Back