My rebuilt small block chevy has blue smoke on start up,runs fine.?

-

howardrick

Reaction score
my 71 chevy 350 has blue smoke after start up. pretty sure my rings arent seating. i have built plenty of small blocks and not had this problem,also its for me and not a friend so of course iam having issues.and yes i rebuilt the heads and did a valve job and replaced valve seals!my father has been a tech his whole life and he told me the best way to break in the rings is to take the car on a road where there isnt much traffic and run it up and down in first gear letting the engine decelerate while not shifting.letting the gear do the braking. any thoughts. i really dont want to tear the motor apart again.any thoughts?

illumibrite

wrong forum is my thought. First post is Chevy. I,d say you are in the wrong place.

Not to be rude. . .but us mopar guys here aren't too fond of chevys, your on the wrong forum boss

Old school way to seat rings was toss a little Bon-Ami cleanser down the carb. I dont think that would work today considering the exotic alloys rings are made of.
I dont think the problem is rings anyway since it only smokes at start up.
Probably valve guides and/or stem oil seals. If so it will suck oil through those on deceleration.
You'll need someone driving and someone watching the tail pipe. Back out of the throttle from around 2000 rpm and less it roll for a good 5 secs or more. Step back into the throttle and get a small puff of smoke , there's your sign.

I can't figure out whether swapping in a 360 SB would be an improvement to the Chivvy or an insult to the 360

I dont think the problem is rings anyway since it only smokes at start up.
Probably valve guides and/or stem oil seals. If so it will suck oil through those on deceleration...

That's it.

Maybe OP trusts us more than the Chevy guys, ever think of that?
So which A-Body are we talking about? Chevelle, ElCamino, Malibu?

At the end of the day, it's very poor forum etiquette to post a question without first posting an intro.

I agree with the above. Valve Guide seals. I'd think that if the rings werent seating, you'd get a lot of blow-by and the smoke wouldnt go away.

As for posting Chevy Small Block question on a Mopar A-bodies site. Here's the forum for you.
Chevy's A-Body Site -> http://www.chevelles.com/

Us Mopar guys aren't too fond of Chevys but we do on occasion use Chevy transmissions and Ford rear ends, disc brakes and other parts from other manufacturers in order not to break our piggy bank. oink oink.....

Us Mopar guys aren't too fond of Chevys but we do on occasion use Chevy transmissions and Ford rear ends, disc brakes and other parts from other manufacturers in order not to break our piggy bank. oink oink.....
yeah I dont get it why some of us (not me) use turbo 350's or turbo 400's when I think most agree the 727 or 904 for that matter can't be beat, or is it strictly a money thing??

-
Back