My restored(not 100%) '71 340 T.Q.

-

demon sizzler

Reaction score
I just wanted to post a few pics of my resto '71 340 carb. After 18+ hrs of detail work, I remember why I do not like having to do this much work on a carb!

But I am pleased with the results, so here are pics, David.

DSCN1871.JPG

DSCN1872.JPG

there is a thing of beauty! it is not just the nice detailing it is the performance. this will be way better than it ever was stock. i know this because david has done one for me!

Great job on the Thermo-Bog !!
I guess now you are going to cover it up with an air cleaner??
At least you will know that it looks perfect and now you can dazzle people when you uncover it.

Thanks for the comments guys! I appreciate it a lot!

Adam, I glass beaded the top, base and moving parts/small parts, then coated the top and base with hi temp ceramic cast aluminum spray. I plated the parts and all of the screws except for the main idle speed screw, the idle kick solenoid screw and the choke pull-off screw since the nickle plating was still good. I did replace the choke pull-off with a new unit that was close to correct in plating colors. It is hard to get everything back together without damaging the plating though!

Great job on the Thermo-Bog !!
I guess now you are going to cover it up with an air cleaner??
At least you will know that it looks perfect and now you can dazzle people when you uncover it.

I sold this one to someone outside the US. And I supplied the core to build. It is a 4972 4 speed carb and I am sure the '71 340 air cleaner will be covering up the carb.

Thats looks really good, everytime I see a carb that is restored it reminds me of my buddy that came to my shop a few year ago. I was restoring a '74 Cuda for a customer and was telling him about all the time it was taking to correctly detail the engine and the small parts. He tells me "I detailed my carb and it only took me about 10 minutes". Later he came to the shop to show me the carb that "detailed"...all he did was sprayed it with silver rustoleum. The '74 cuda I restored later went on to place third in class at Carlisle that year. Heres a pic of the Cuda on the Carlisle show field.

jimmys cuda.jpg

there is a thing of beauty! it is not just the nice detailing it is the performance. this will be way better than it ever was stock. i know this because david has done one for me!

He's done 2 for me and one for a friend, and on my recommendation another friend is sending him one to rebuild. I agree, the performance is great!
Dallas

Get a hold of Wonder Woman and ask if you can borrow the air cleaner from her invisible plane. That way you can still see the carb in action!:cheers:

Thats looks really good, everytime I see a carb that is restored it reminds me of my buddy that came to my shop a few year ago. I was restoring a '74 Cuda for a customer and was telling him about all the time it was taking to correctly detail the engine and the small parts. He tells me "I detailed my carb and it only took me about 10 minutes". Later he came to the shop to show me the carb that "detailed"...all he did was sprayed it with silver rustoleum. The '74 cuda I restored later went on to place third in class at Carlisle that year. Heres a pic of the Cuda on the Carlisle show field.

That is soooo LAME! Sure detailing is a lot of work but it can also be gratifying and make the effort pay off.

Thanks for the 'plug' Dallas!

And thanks for the nice comments guys!

Perhaps a clear lexan '71 340 air cleaner would be nice!:-D

-
Back