My V-Type Engine Ignorance is Showing

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
First off, everyone this post involves bloodborn chevy pathogens. Don your personal protection equipment.

Me and my dad are wrapping up the 350 build for his 85 truck and dad started asking me about torqing procedure for the heads and intake.:toothy2:

He says he remember a special procedure from HS for assuring alignment on the heads and intakes of all V engines. Something like if you use a three step Torquing you torque the heads and intakes down to step 1, then loosen them all, then torque to step 1 then 2 then loosen them all, then torque step 1 then 2 then finally 3 or some junk like that.

Anyone know what he's talking about and can help jog his memory? I'm an inline guy so I've never heard this stuff before.

Generally tighten from the center out criss crossing to the ends in two or three steps until torqued to spec.
This is the general idea. (which you probably already know)
Tightening, then loosening and tightening again might have been WAY back when they used Pterydactyl skin for gaskets. :D

No need to loosen. I've always snugged all the bolts down in sequence (going by the diagram in torque tables) with a ratchet, then torque about half the spec (in sequence) then torque em down all the way (in sequence). I always double check with the torque wrench by going back over all the bolts in sequence again. The dowl pins should do all the aligning.

No need to loosen. I've always snugged all the bolts down in sequence (going by the diagram in torque tables) with a ratchet, then torque about half the spec (in sequence) then torque em down all the way (in sequence). I always double check with the torque wrench by going back over all the bolts in sequence again. The dowl pins should do all the aligning.

^^^^^^^^^^x's 2

Just run um all down with a impact.

All Motors Manuals, and other types similar, as well as all factory service manuals give you the torque patterns. You should be able to find this on the www. I would NOT loosen them up.

I never used to torque 'that accurately' on the steps, but I did use 3 or 4 steps.

ALL TORQUE READINGS are usually based on LUBRICATED bolt threads and heads. One Chibbies I think you need to use sealer on some bolt threads. It's been at least 30 years since I've messed with brand X

Ok so all the bolts are "wet" for those wondering, so all the intake and head bolts were permatexed and we torqued all by the sequence in the manual. All is good but i seem to have caught the plague from playing with a baby rat motor lol!

Ok so all the bolts are "wet" for those wondering, so all the intake and head bolts were permatexed and we torqued all by the sequence in the manual. All is good but i seem to have caught the plague from playing with a baby rat motor lol!

Oh no, it's contageous, stay away!!!! NOT

However for me, working on any motor is good, no matter what brand, just love motor work!!! That first fire up after a rebuild, the old heart starts a pounding. LOL

Nothing wrong with them at all, they are great little engines. I happen to like them. SO many interchangeable parts from 1955 all the way to what.....1999?

Oh no, it's contageous, stay away!!!! NOT

However for me, working on any motor is good, no matter what brand, just love motor work!!! That first fire up after a rebuild, the old heart starts a pounding. LOL

Yeah, true. Did a Chevy 327 rebuild (stock), My late brother did a 69 mildly cammed 440+.030 rebuild on a GTX he owned, my youngest brother and I did up a 351W+.030 for an 82 grand marquis I once owned, and a few other build ups for a swamp buggy, drag car, street machine, in between, every one on the first fire up just made you grin ear to ear when they sound smooth and are not making any weird noises.

Im not complaining, I'm an engine guy at heart. Dont mean I cant crack chevy jokes though lol!

But you know, I always figured my first rebuild would be a slant six.... Go figure.

Im not complaining, I'm an engine guy at heart. Dont mean I cant crack chevy jokes though lol!

But you know, I always figured my first rebuild would be a slant six.... Go figure.

That's cause them there slants are almost indestructible!!!!

I've rebuilt a lot of then there inline 6's, however they are 855 cubic inches of Cummins.

Nothing wrong with them at all, they are great little engines. I happen to like them. SO many interchangeable parts from 1955 all the way to what.....1999?
I think some things are interchangeable even later than 99
That's cause them there slants are almost indestructible!!!!

I've rebuilt a lot of then there inline 6's, however they are 855 cubic inches of Cummins.
You work on trucks?

-
Back