My Way Part 1 Intake

-

Etor

Reaction score
Hello FABO, i need your help with an intake. Wich intake should i take to change to 4bbl with an Edelbrock Thunder 650 AVS? I’m only interested in faster stoplight to stoplight acceleration, or 0-60 MPH time. No interest in ¼ mile. Cold winters here in Europe.

A: Edelbrock Performer 2176

B: Edelbrock Performer RPM 7176

C: Edelbrock Performer Airgap 7576

D: Weiand 8007 Action Plus

E: Weiand 8022 Stealth

Right now its like this:

72 Dodge Demon
Stock LA 318
Stock heads
Stock 2bbl intake with Carter BBD
Stock cam (i must believe)
TTI headers 2.5“
Dual exhaust 2.5“
8.75 axle with suregrip 3.91 ratio
Stock torque converter (I want a new 2500 stall converter later as recommended by AJ/FormS)

Thanks, Etor

Last edited:
Ditch all that **** and run a supercharger. Problem solved.

My Stealth needed some grinder work around some of the intake bolts to fit.
No coil mount provision.

My RPM-AG was a bolt on and go.

Both work well. I haven’t had a head to head comparison yet. I myself would run the Edelbrock AG.

Swap in a new cam while you do the intake.

For stock heads, 0-60.
IMO the best bets will be a
factory 318 4 bbl dual plane
318/ late273 4bbl single plane
standard Performer with 318 ports.

Whatever you do will be a bit of gamble. Except for the factory, any development effort that was done was toward improving the higher rpm.
You can always experiment with carb spacers (if the intake isn't too tall).

Last edited:
Stock 318? Even the highest rated 318 lacked cam,compression and headflow. Really the best manifold for your engine as listed above is the regular Performer. You dont have a high performing engine and cant utilize the benefits of the RPM, Stealth and Street Dominator. 318 ports are much smaller than 340/360 ports. Big window mismatch putting a 340 intake on those 318 heads- (place a nickel up to a quarter)

For now no one in the Lead: 2 votes for the Performer 318, and 2 votes for the Airgap.

The cold winters you mentioned may cause carb icing on cold damp days with the air gap, unless you use a stock type air cleaner with air heating .

Thanks to all. I ve got good arguments for the performer (Mattax, Harrington, mopar sam). The airgap gets just votes...

Personally I would not waste money on a performer over a stock 4 barrel intake.
Theres not much advantage other then weight.
I have run an airgap in cold weather without any issues and have rode in a stock 318 4sd that switched from a stock 4bl intake to an airgap and it made a big difference .
I think any 4bl intake will make a difference .
One reason I say airgap is it is good down low and up high, and more often then not we want more power at some point.
The airgap will fit that need as well ,should it ever arise !
Best of luck !!

I actually like the airgap, but have had icing problems in the winter here in Indiana. I had to rig up heat to the air cleaner.

I actually like the airgap, but have had icing problems in the winter here in Indiana. I had to rig up heat to the air cleaner.
How cold does it get there ?
I guess im used to the mild climate in the Pacific northwest.

Here, this might help; at 1750rpm your 318 with unlimited carburetion,
at WOT, and 100% VE, mathematically might draw 161cfm.
But your 318 will never achieve 100% VE . However, it might achieve, wild guess 60% efficiency at 1750rpm, so 161x60% is 97 cfm. By 2500 things are looking up, and maybe she's 65% efficient, so now maybe she can pull 150cfm. By 3500, maybe the moment has passed, but let's say for arguments sake, she gets up to 70%. That would then be 226cfm .
And IIRC the stock 2bbl is rated at 230cfm.
So IMO putting a 4bbl on there, is the last thing you want to spend your money on, just now..
But what will make a difference is a 2500 to 2800 TC, depending on what the power curve looks like. That you will feel instantly the first time you hit the gas, and it will leave you smiling for a very long time. You do have a SureGrip back there,right? If not, then that should be next on your list.

-
Back