Mystery 318

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have what I thought was a 318 in the corner of the garage, I never really paid attention to it because I big block swapped the car it came out of.

It has an aftermarket intake on it and after a closer look today I found that my 318 is actually a 340. (stamped under the left head on the front and casting number)

After a head came off I see the pistons say ".030" so its been worked on before.

is there a way to know what kind of cam is in there and find out more about the engine?
I don't do much with small blocks.

I can tell you that since it's already bored .030 over its at its limits and isn't worth more than a door stop. Strange thing is the spring loaded door on my shop always slams shut and I really need a door stop, I'll take it off your hands when I'm out there.

What is the rest of the number on the front face?

What is the partial VIN number (if it has one) on the passenger side of the block?

I can tell you that since it's already bored .030 over its at its limits and isn't worth more than a door stop. Strange thing is the spring loaded door on my shop always slams shut and I really need a door stop, I'll take it off your hands when I'm out there.

Wrong answer. The 340 can routinely be bored to 4.100. That's only .060 from the stock bore. Sometimes they can go farther but sonic checking is recommended.

I have what I thought was a 318 in the corner of the garage, I never really paid attention to it because I big block swapped the car it came out of.

It has an aftermarket intake on it and after a closer look today I found that my 318 is actually a 340. (stamped under the left head on the front and casting number)

After a head came off I see the pistons say ".030" so its been worked on before.

is there a way to know what kind of cam is in there and find out more about the engine?
I don't do much with small blocks.

You can measure the cam's lift with a dial indicator. If it's a hydraulic cam, you will need to remove a lifter and flip it upside down to get a good reading on the dial indicator, because surely by now the lifter plunger has bled down. But that's easy enough to do. Once you get lift figures for intake and exhaust we can give you a pretty good idea what style of cam it is.

Also, if you are going to tear it down anyway, you can always look for stamper numbers on the rear of the cam. Might be a good enough part number you can look up.

Well, lucky you! 340 is always a nice money and performance upgrade over a 318

I think 75/6 was pretty accurate.
If you really want to know, ship it to me, Ill slam it into my S-clone, and use it for a winter motor. Maybe I wont have so much trouble with wheelspin.

Most aftermarket cams have a grind number you use to look up the specs. this might require pulling the cam as some are written on the back.

AJ, that was my big word for the day...

Guess I'm third inline to take that piece of scrap off her hands. :D

We are a fine bunch, arent we?

Lol! You got that right! I couldn't help but feel just a tad spiteful at Rani's lucky find! Especially since she's a big block chick n all. Lol! I just figured having that nice door stop at my shop would always put a smile on my face every time I saw it and would wash away any hint of spite!:D

Gee, I was gonna offer to trade 3 known good 318s even up if she handled all the shipping arrangements.

Hey the line forms behind me.

Actually, I dont need or want that 340. I got enough of my own. I just thought it would be fun to participate in the camaraderie.
What I really need is a bodyman to come and fix my rear quarters.Theres nothing funny about my rusty,rotting,quarters, so dont start.lol
Oh yeah, Im leaving the line,now.

What I really need is a bodyman to come and fix my rear quarters.Theres nothing funny about my rusty,rotting,quarters, so dont start.lol

Sooo... You want a bodybuilder to work on your rearend?? :wack: ok, I'm sorry, I started. Lol

Lol! You got that right! I couldn't help but feel just a tad spiteful at Rani's lucky find! Especially since she's a big block chick n all. Lol! I just figured having that nice door stop at my shop would always put a smile on my face every time I saw it and would wash away any hint of spite!:D

I got a slanty Layin around that makes a great door stop!!! Yers fer the askin!!! :)

If my Duster isn't done by the Nats (shame, I know) I'll bring my truck up and may take you up on that ;) lol

can never have too many slants around ....they are not making them anymore and everyday someone tosses another one. :protest:

-
Back