mystery 4 speed

-

branded209

Reaction score
I got ahold of this 4 speed, was wondering what it was out of originally, and what it could be used in thanks for the help fellas~
Img_00189.jpg
Img_00188.jpg

Should be an 833OD. Similar to the 833 but 4th gear is .73:1 or .71:1. It came in cars and light trucks, and it will be the long tailshaft style 833 with 2 shifter mounting pads.

Can be used in E bodies by using the rear most mount, B bodies by using the forward mount (although its not exactly in the right place). It can be used on A bodies as well using the forward shift pad (again not exactly the same location as the original A body shifter). You'll need to have the drivehaft shortened significantly though because of the longer tailshaft on the transmission.

Gear spacing is pretty wide because of the overdrive 4th gear, 3rd is 1:1. Good transmission for a street car though, as you can run decent gears and still cruise on the freeway. Not really good for any kind of racing though, as the gear spread is very wide.

Thanks a million Blue, im going out to a swap meet in stockton tomorrow and now i'll be able to let them know what it is

Transmission by itself is only worth around $150 to $200 if its in good condition. With shifter and linkage maybe $250. I've paid as little as $100 for one.

They came in cars and trucks from '75 to 1987, so you can still get them at wrecking yards pretty easily. And they aren't very popular despite the convenience of the overdrive gear, the gear spread really turns people off.

I forgot that they did come with an A-body style one as well, that one will have the short tailshaft and only 1 mounting location. Worth a little more than the long tailshaft version, but not a ton more. Another $50 to $100 tops.

If that's a long tailshaft OD tranny, only the forward mounting pad is probably drilled for shifter mounting.

The rear mounting pad can be drilled for use in B and E bodies as mentioned above.

Actually, if it's a truck trans, the only car it will bolt right into with the shifter in the right location other than a truck is the E body. It will fit in the B body, but it requires some mods. As mentioned though, 150-200 is about the norm for all of the OD transmissions.

yea, about 200.00 and that is if you can even get a sale, inf someone is specifiacally looking for one. there are a few at the local yard here, and they arew 38.50 each if i yank them out

That's pretty interesting SS...:scratch:

Just installed an OD833 into a 73 B-body with no mods other than drilling out the rear shifter mounting pad.

-
Back