Mystery Brakes for 8 3/4

-

spancar

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some advice, I used the search forum already and no luck. I bought an 8 3/4 off a guy who said it was from a dart. Question is, it has 5x4 sbp and I'm almost sure its is 10" brakes. (no brakes came with it only backing plate which measures roughly 10.5) I went to oriellys and compared the wheel cylinder was for a 10 inch brake, now my question is, what car did this come off with the 10inch sbp? I would just tell them a b body but all their 10inch is lbp. Any ideas??? Thanks all.

Also I have the auto store checking the manufacturer, are these 10in sbp that rare?

Also there were no i.d tags on the unit letting me know what its from. No clue what gears, rough guess was 2.93. Only casting was the 2070741 telling me it is a 741 center.

The 5x4" pattern pretty much means it's an A-body rear. If it measures 43" from the center of the perches its an A body 8 3/4. 10" brakes weren't uncommon, they were the HD set up for the A-bodys. Both of my '71 GT's had 10" brakes.

Rears brakes are 10x 1.75". Rock Auto has most of the parts you need, they have brake shoes on clearance right now for $3.19!!! Wagner part 2331. Drums are a little harder to come by. The rest of the hardware should be interchangeable with any of the 10" drums.

Napa also has the parts you might need, My set up is the same and I had to go through the same thing 4 years ago.

Front's should be 2.25". Not sure why Rockauto has those listed as fronts, I don't think the front's came in 10x1.75. Both of my 10" brake cars have 10x2.25" in the front.

Check out the Wagner Thermoquiet website,for the correct 10 x1.75 shoes.Went through this 5 year's ago,first shot correct.Everyone else was wrong.

-
Back