Mystery weatherstripping

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was cleaning up my engine bay the other day and I noticed that I was missing 2 pieces of weatherstripping that goes against the hood on the top of my headlight bezels. This is a 1964 and 63 only piece, I believe. I am not sure what the official name of the piece is. I was able to duplicate them using TPU with my 3D printer, but now I need a few of the tiny little nylon push in retainers that hold them in place. Does anybody know what these weatherstripping pieces are called and where I could find them, or the little retainers? I will attach some pictures for reference.

IMG_5614.JPG

IMG_5616.JPG

I'd just go to O'Reilly, NAPA, wherever; and get some appropriately sized nylon push pins.
HaIu&w=161&h=185&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&dpr=1.1&pid=3.jpg

I think that I might have found some. At a autobody shop supply store online. $15 for 100, but I am curious as to what they are called and what the weatherstripping pieces are called and if they are available anywhere. The ones that I made work fine but they don't look like the originals.

The ones that I duplicated are slightly different, in that they are about a half inch longer than the original ones to better fit the space that the occupy.
Maybe if I sand down the round part, they might look more like the original ones.

Don't hold me to it, but I think when I worked in the Point of Purchase industry we called them Canoe Clips.

The ones that I duplicated are slightly different, in that they are about a half inch longer than the original ones to better fit the space that the occupy.
Maybe if I sand down the round part, they might look more like the original ones.
After sixty years, weatherstripping shrinks down (and cracks, becomes brittle), so you are probably closer to original size than you realize.
Without a pic of where they go, I'll take a wild stab at it and say they're called radiator yoke seals.

IMG_2196.JPG
The headlight bezels are white, and you can see the weatherstripping between the bezel and hood.

You might give James at Detroit Muscle Technologies a call. He always returns my call if I leave a message. Last time I heard he still had a "day" job.

If James doesn't have them, he may know someone who does. The first time I called him, he asked all about my car. Very personable guy.

-
Back