Mystery wire in headlight harness

-
@1969383S This is why I go through the wiring in all my old cars. Well... all 3 of them so far.

I got under the dash last night to do my rewiring (moved the horn to the headlight harness, moved the starter trigger wire to the engine harness), and I found this little guy:
upload_2019-3-29_8-52-3.png

Turns out (after much research and a trip to see our brothers over on B-body, who had the answer), these are the reverse light wires for the 4 speed (mine was white and black, not purple and white). Evidently you are to take them out of that plastic housing and slip them into the bulkhead connector. So I did... and they LIKED it!

Dark Green with a tracer is for fender top mounted lights... 1968 harness

Please review the attached 68 drawings. The hood turn indicators and front turn light on driver side are from the S Terminal are black with light green trace.

Last edited:
@1969383S This is why I go through the wiring in all my old cars. Well... all 3 of them so far.

I got under the dash last night to do my rewiring (moved the horn to the headlight harness, moved the starter trigger wire to the engine harness), and I found this little guy:
View attachment 1715547253

Turns out (after much research and a trip to see our brothers over on B-body, who had the answer), these are the reverse light wires for the 4 speed (mine was white and black, not purple and white). Evidently you are to take them out of that plastic housing and slip them into the bulkhead connector. So I did... and they LIKED it!

If that is a 68 fish harness as it appears to be, then it Is the back-up lamp To console switch connector and or column connector for an automatic trans. It should come from slot D and C of the bulkhead connector.

The note on the drawing also denotes manual reverse Connection, so in 68 it did both and travels on to the the body connector slot 6 to the rear harness. It also jumps over to slot 7 on the rear body connector which is not as clearly shown in the manual As it should be but feeds the reverse dash light from slot 7 Dash side.

Last edited:
@jcmeyer5

if this is in a 69 then it is not right! You should pay Close attention as you have said! I would really study the 68 and 69 drawings to understand your challenges.

if your harness are all matched 68 versions then it will be easier on you.

Did you order these incorrectly, sent the wrong ones or just got them with the 69?

Last edited:
Instrument panel harness may have the part number on the cable by the headlight dip switch.
Its on a white tape rolled around the end of the harness wrap.
This is '67 but other years should be the same.
upload_2020-6-17_23-7-13.png

upload_2020-6-17_23-5-39.png

@1969383S this is the harness that was in the car. I can’t say it’s original to the car, but it is an original harness. I’ll ohm out those two wires and make sure my thought is correct.

@1969383S this is the harness that was in the car. I can’t say it’s original to the car, but it is an original harness. I’ll ohm out those two wires and make sure my thought is correct.

Good deal, you seem to be looking hard and paying attention. I figured as such based on the posts.

What exactly are you working on? 69 Dart? It is confusing based on the #1 post.

Good deal, you seem to be looking hard and paying attention. I figured as such based on the posts.

What exactly are you working on? 69 Dart? It is confusing based on the #1 post.

Yeah. 1969 Dart. I just happen to be looking in other places for questions that appear unanswered.

Please review the attached 68 drawings. The hood turn indicators and front turn light on driver side are from the S Terminal are black with light green trace.

Go to this harness photo and show me where it comes from the "S" terminal and are Blk/Gn on the diagram.... It clearly shows Green / tracer and coming from the "Z" terminal the OP listed as the source

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg

Go to this harness photo and show me where it comes from the "S" terminal and are Blk/Gn on the diagram.... It clearly shows Green / tracer and coming from the "Z" terminal the OP listed as the source

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1968/68DartB.jpg

That drawing is not a Factory FSM drawing and honestly pure ****!

It can used for reference only and MyMopar should remove it from their Site! My opinion only!

Sorry, I should temper my response. Errors can be made, even by the Factory. This is why I have revisions on some of my FSM scan/retraces. Looking at all the Data and actual cars is the real deal!

Last edited:
Please Remember 3 years and 3 different wiring Docs! Lots of these have been swapped and changed or replacements ordered incorrectly. 67-69 may look similar but are not. The FSM is the best source for correctness! Once again JMO!

Damn near every inch of these second gen 67-69 cars are different year to year.

-
Back