MYSTERY WIRES

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just put the pedal assembly back in... Of course I had to move around and push put of the way the under dash wiring. I now have two wires that I'm not sure what they are or where they go. The one with the "plug" end I think plugs onto a stud on the back of the instrument panel, but not sure where the other end goes. The other wire has a fuse in the middle.

20231014_151956.jpg

20231014_151920.jpg

The fuse was added, not factory Mopar. Maybe the cigar lighter plug? Other end was cut of course, should have maybe had a bullet plug into the main harness.

First a few things....

What year
What car
What trim level
What modifications to the electrical system

Next...

Go to mymopar.com and download your cars wiring diagram and Factory Service Manual. If your car is not available try the year before and the year after

What color wire is directly connected to the black 90 deg push on connector?

What color wires are connected to the fuse?

First a few things....

What year
What car
What trim level
What modifications to the electrical system

Next...

Go to mymopar.com and download your cars wiring diagram and Factory Service Manual. If your car is not available try the year before and the year after

What color wire is directly connected to the black 90 deg push on connector?

What color wires are connected to the fuse?
72 Demon 318 3 spd floor shift manual
Trim level...lol ..LOW option car...
No mods by me.
I've got a 72 Demon service manual..but schematics are not my strong suit.

I've got a 72 Demon service manual..but schematics are not my strong suit
Start by looking for single connector correct color wires under the dash on the schematics.

Classiccarwiring.com sells color coded laminated diagrams that are super easy to follow.
Best 25.00 I spent

In my 67 manual the red with a single 90 deg press on connector is for the cigarette lighter.

As for the fuse, my best guess is it was for an aftermarket radio.

I bet there is a loose red wire under the dash that all that was attached to at some time.

Look at the fuse block for the cig lighter fuse and trace it from there.

Last edited:
That wire sure as hell does not look red in the photo. Is this from the engine bay, or under the dash?

There are only a couple of plugs like that from under the dash. EDIT: Brake switch connector is male so not it) One is the emergency brake warning switch, one is the cig. lighter. All you have to do is LOOK. LOOK at the schematics labeled "instrument panel" and look for a connector shaped like that.

Lighter is no. 16 red wire

ALSO FROM MYMOPAR download the 73, that is right, the 73 manual. Go, for example, to page 8-168. Once you learn how to use this, that page is the start of the pictorials of most/ all of the connectors for under the dash (CI-X stands for "Connector, Instrument)

Last edited:
That wire sure as hell does not look red in the photo. Is this from the engine bay, or under the dash?

There are only a couple of plugs like that from under the dash. EDIT: Brake switch connector is male so not it) One is the emergency brake warning switch, one is the cig. lighter. All you have to do is LOOK. LOOK at the schematics labeled "instrument panel" and look for a connector shaped like that.

Lighter is no. 16 red wire

ALSO FROM MYMOPAR download the 73, that is right, the 73 manual. Go, for example, to page 8-168. Once you learn how to use this, that page is the start of the pictorials of most/ all of the connectors for under the dash (CI-X stands for "Connector, Instrument)
It's from under the dash...and most definitely red.

20231014_214659.jpg

cigar lighter - look for cylinder coming out of the back of the dash ash tray under the dash...

I swear that looks pink on my monitor; which is a constant hot lighting circuit, often to the glove box light.

Either way, red or pink, both come from the constant hot buss bar in the fuse block. You have the book, now you just need to get familiar with the abreviations in the diagrams.

-
Back