Myth about 950 Holley

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Is the 950 really just a 750 main body with a 850 throttle plate? Ive read so much that my head is starting to hurt, but I want to asked you experienced guys if you haver heard or tried this.

Yes that's basically it. The main body has the venturis massaged to fit the 850 plate.

It really flows in the 830-850 range. Still one of the BEST 4150 based carbs for HP that you can get.

well it would seem that if the body is only 750 it wouldn't matter what the blades are...

kinda like welding a 3" pipe after a 2" and sayin a 3" exhaust LOL

well it would seem that if the body is only 750 it wouldn't matter what the blades are...

kinda like welding a 3" pipe after a 2" and sayin a 3" exhaust LOL

...The 950 isnt the CFM that it flows, its just a number.

Yes that's basically it. The main body has the venturis massaged to fit the 850 plate.

It really flows in the 830-850 range. Still one of the BEST 4150 based carbs for HP that you can get.

I was wondering because I have a biggs 750 DP but wanted a 950 because thats what brian said would be good for the stroker. What would I have to do or take the main body as its a HP and open it to the 850 plate?

I want the best power out of the carb without having to sell it and just getting a whole new 950 unless I find one used or something.

I was wondering because I have a biggs 750 DP but wanted a 950 because thats what brian said would be good for the stroker. What would I have to do or take the main body as its a HP and open it to the 850 plate?

I want the best power out of the carb without having to sell it and just getting a whole new 950 unless I find one used or something.

I would put a billet 850 base plate on your 750. I think they are around $110. Oh and BTW I just put a 1050 Dominator on my other brand low 10 second car and it picked up 4mph in the 1/8th (went from 102 to 106 and change).

I would put a billet 850 base plate on your 750. I think they are around $110. Oh and BTW I just put a 1050 Dominator on my other brand low 10 second car and it picked up 4mph in the 1/8th (went from 102 to 106 and change).

wow nice! I think I might do that and on the dyno try all the different carbs I can

Here's a REAL 950. heh

Attachments

• 950.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 950-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 316

It is not as simple as that as the passages are different between the two carbs as are the metering blocks, it can be done by drilling the passages, this is best done by someone who has done it. If you search around enough you may find one fairly cheap and be able to sell the 750 as it is a more streetable carb and are easy to sell. In the long run will also be cheaper. I agree that the 950 HP is one of the best carbs made for any stroker motor

Ill see what I can do with this one.. Its a full built 750 from BIGGS cost me 550, might just stay with it till I can get a buyer or a cheap 950 on the side. Thanks guys!

wow nice! I think I might do that and on the dyno try all the different carbs I can

Thats a good idea. I have found, in my experience, when you crest the 600hp mark motors tend to like the Dominator. I have also done the 850 base plate swap with no problems. I am unaware of any passage inconsistencies, that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I would read one of the Holley books out there for more info on that.

-
Back