n20 and timming

-

project360

Reaction score
NEW TO GAS, n20,
so ive been reading through NOS threads and seen where 4 deg. of timing needs to be pulled out to start off with. (( if say 32 deg was max with out spray, 28 deg is max to start with spray ?? ))
looks like i will be running a pertronix magnetic trigger flamethrower dizzy if that helps the equation.

-im assuming the 4 deg. retard will not hurt the motor around town, it will just run better on the gas !

any tips or tricks.

this is all research at this point, but the plan of attack is... running my T-ram set up with dual wet plates and its own fuel system. starting with a 50 shot per plate.

tigher gap ? seems the coil and dist. im looking at states to run a wider gap ??
i do understand the need for a colder plug.

colder plug = closer gap ??

Colder plug and tighter spark plug gap. With a 100 shot of N20 one step colder and -2 degrees should do it. But the -4 is a good idea to be safe.

Summit makes a knock off msd/retard box for about 300

I would suggest either an exhaust gas temp gauge and/or air fuel mixture ratio gauge to add to your set up.

Research plugs...I think that the projected tip plugs are not good with nitrous

Also a fuel pressure regulator to assure you have the fuel psi to the plate or nozzle that the manufacturer recommends

thanks...
im considering a seperate fuel cell for the NOS system with electic pump matched to the correct volume required with regulator. not sure about dist with retard box yet, guess i keep researching that one.

Projected tip plugs will be fine up to a 125 shot, but even with a 100 shot i'd drop 1 heat range & set the gap at .030", start with a 100 shot, set timing at 28-29* from your 32*, depending on your cranking pressure & those KB190s, If the heads haven't been milled & the head gasket is .039", The compression should be around 10.3-10.4, If your cranking pressure is above 170, i'd run at least a 50/50 mix of premium & 110 with the nitrous, Tune on the 100 shot 1st., depending on the kit you use, the fuel jet might be higher then the Nos jet, like in the NOS kits, you can play with the fuel jet, start lowering it, I ran a Sniper, pills were 55 N/63 F (125 shot), I gained a solid 11 MPH in the 1/8 on these pills, make sure you have good fuel supply.

ok well. plans are in place and parts have been ordered to finish motor on the gas.
total planned shot is 150. ( kits smallest pills = 100 )
-upgraded to Scat I beam rods for added insurance (good thing its still on the stand)
-5 gallon fuel cell and equivelant electric pump
-step down 1 heat range .030 gap on plug (also find a shorter plug) the plugs i have stick way out.
-initial timming down to 28* to start
-looking at VP100 (street blaze) fuel all the time due to CR, but will try the 50/50 mix and see how it starts and runs.

thanks all,
im still taking comments.... fuel, spark plug specifics etc.

I personally like NGK plugs, there easy to read, i've never had issues running them.

Summit makes a knock off msd/retard box for about 300

I would suggest either an exhaust gas temp gauge and/or air fuel mixture ratio gauge to add to your set up.

Research plugs...I think that the projected tip plugs are not good with large amounts of nitrous

Also a fuel pressure regulator to assure you have the fuel psi to the plate or nozzle that the manufacturer recommends

Just like you I'm still researching use of nitrous...just read that for plug reading...shut the car down immediately after you have done a blast with the nitrous to get the most accurate plug reading. Many suppliers say that anything beyond 150 shot you should have forged internals.

thanks... as is, im hoping no more than 150, estimating that would put me about 600 down the track.... if all goes well, and nitrous is my thing, i have another 72, 36O standard bore for a forged build for more spray, just have to see, i picked up this complete motor as a back up incase i snap my current one since its already .060 over.

Nitrous beleive it or not is not as scary to run as some think, once you learn the ins/outs of keeping it safe & don't get too greedy you just can't beat it for the cost too power gains.

The big thing you are tying to avoid with the timing is detonation. Detonation + n20 = you will be pulling the engine out for a rebuild.

With the amount of money you are going to have on a 2 plate system,i would go with a direct port setup.

With only starting at 100 total I would start your timing at 34 total and not even take any timing out just yet.

Use primium gas.

Reading this thread...
Do you have KB hyper pistons in it? Was the ring gap set up for NO2 use?
Do you have two 4bbl plates? If so, you have volume of 100hp each, for a total of 200hp when the button is hit.
I've always run 4.5psi on the fuel side for the smaller plate kits, and I take 2° for every 100hp out of it up to 300hp. Once you get beyond that you really need to build the engine to run on NO2.

I highly reccomend a fuel psi safety shut off switch, plug it in the fuel supply and if it drops below 5psi wire it to shut down the nitrous noid. MSD also makes a dial operated timing controller that can be wired to work with the N2O, works well. The rule of thumb is 2* retarded per 50hp and you need to be sure you're tuning at the proper bottle and fuel psi or you'll be chasing your tail. A seperate fuel system is a great idea for spraying 150hp or more but most electric pumps will cope with a smaller shot of spray.

-
Back