Name brand 727 shop? “Fairbanks”

-

72smallairparticler

Reaction score
Body is painted yellow and orange. Curious if anyone knows anything about this transmission rebuilder?

IMG_8524.jpeg

They were an excellent builder 20 or 30 years ago.

I think they were bought out or change hands a time or
two maybe 15 years ago or so. Last time I knew anything
is I "think" they may have been bought out by Frank Lupo (Dynamic).
way back then.

Fairbanks is a company from long ago. They were bought out by Superior. Fairbanks was really good stuff. If that's a Fairbanks transmission and it appears so, it probably has good stuff in it.

They were an excellent builder 20 or 30 years ago.

I think they were bought out or change hands a time or
two maybe 15 years ago or so. Last time I knew anything
is I "think" they may have been bought out by Frank Lupo (Dynamic).
way back then.
I don't think it's a stretch to say Fairbanks was the best at one point in time.

Doesn't seem that you can get a whole built trans from them anymore but, you can still buy parts from them. My buddy has one in his car although not painted like yours but has a sticker or plate on it with the name on it. It seems to work really well..it has a manual reverse valve body in it.

Yeah, I still buy Fairbanks shift kits from Superior. I've used both B&M as well as TransGo and found the Fairbanks to be "superior". Just my opinion, but the kits are less expensive than the other two and they WORK!
we borrowed a Fairbanks trans from Jim Hale back in the day , it wasn't worth a s--- , went back to B_M , parts in our own trans that my partner built . We had some trouble with B_M convertors too , but most were good ...jfyi

we borrowed a Fairbanks trans from Jim Hale back in the day , it wasn't worth a s--- , went back to B_M , parts in our own trans that my partner built . We had some trouble with B_M convertors too , but most were good ...jfyi
Hey, don't get me started on TCI either... ugh.

Ran a Fairbanks in my 69 Dart with a 383, always worked great! You can always tell with the tiger stripes...

Didn't they also paint them in black and white stripes?

When I was going through 727B's like cheap beer on a hot Florida day, I really wanted a Fairbanks built one.

Yeah, I still buy Fairbanks shift kits from Superior. I've used both B&M as well as TransGo and found the Fairbanks to be "superior". Just my opinion, but the kits are less expensive than the other two and they WORK!
I used them all through school when we did work for fellow students. There were some weeks we did 5 or 6 transmissions a week when word got out to other schools in the area. Our local transmission parts dealer, Trans Parts of Macon was a Fairbanks dealer. Sadly, like so many others, that business is a thing of the past.

-
Back